Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS550E ZX6r front & bandit rear

Hi,

just getting started on my GS550E, have fitted a ZX6r front end and a bandit rear end. Going to start looking at steering angle/offset to make sure it is going to work. Will be a slow build over the next 12months.
    Any comments/criticism welcome
    image.jpg

Hope you're building for performance, you have my complements on those suspension upgrades.
    But after having a GS550 myself, I'd want a more powerful engine, even a 650 would be more fun.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Yes not sure what to do about performance yet. Bike was pretty much given too me and I had front suspension from another project and got bandit swingarm/rim etc for cheap.

Comment

Not sure how intense you wanna engineer this bike or your budget, but you will find many threads here on modding the 550cc and swapping in bigger GS and GSXR engines.
        Plenty of people will chime in about keeping the 550 too.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Good start for sure! Are you intending to use the monoshock from the Bandit swingarm or weld on mounts and keep it twin shock?

As for the motor, if you aren't keen on the 550 engine, pull it out and put in the SACHS (Air / oiled cooled engine) from an early GSXR-750, mid 90's Katana (in either 600 or 750cc size) or the Bandit 600. Hell for serious giggles find a way to shoe horn a Bandit 1200 mill in there. Though then you better put on some serious braking and brace the frame in a few choice spots!

Good luck with the project.

Comment

Tim,

i am am keeping it twin shock. I have purchased a set of mounts off the guy that makes them
            for Katana's (I think he might be on this forum). I'm going to keep it 550 but go in on the group buy with weisco Pistons for the 650 upgrade.

Brakes I'm going to run the ZX6R double rotors on the front and the Bandit disc on rear so should pull up ok.

thinking I should brace the chassis a bit too. Have found some ideas on the net but mostly for larger GS and katana. I would assume it should be pretty similar to what I need.

Comment

Working...
            X