The $350 GS850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The $350 GS850L

So I havent tinkered in awhile so I cruised the ass end of Craigslist to find a titled bike that needs the most work with least amount of "new" parts needed. I want to rebuild as much as possible. After seeing this bike I did some research and found it had a huge following as well as rebuild kits and parts galore.

I'm no stranger to turning wrenches, it's what brings home the bacon but it's in a different field. I work on machinery at a food processing plant but in my spare time I'm under someones car or truck. Being the mechanic in the family I tend to get pimped out a lot and it seems lately everyone's heaterm cores have been failing

Enough about me let's get to the bike! This 1980 GS850L has not been tabbed since 1987. 29 years! She has just a little over 5k miles and looks like she might of spent a couple years outside before she found a home in the corner of a shed to collect dust for the rest of her life. It's my plan to get her back on the road since she's barely felt asphalt since birth.

So here's what I know so far

She is seized up
    Front brakes don't work
    Hard to push in N.
    Seat is split at the seams
    Polka dots of rust EVERYWHERE
    Has a new battery(PO tried to start her before selling)

I'm sure I'll find a lot more once I start tearing into it but so far that's it from initial inspection.

I know I paid someone for a whole lot of problems but that was the point! But hey at least she is a complete bike all the way to that ugly vetter fairing!

Welcome to the site, have some work to do.
    Should keep you from becoming bore.
    Difficult for me to link other sites from anything but my computer, so hopefully someone will post a link or you could find Basecliffs site.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
      Welcome to the site, have some work to do.
      Should keep you from becoming bore.
      Difficult for me to link other sites from anything but my computer, so hopefully someone will post a link or you could find Basecliffs site.
      Here you go, or here he goes...whatever.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

You have a decent bike to start with, but you should know that it was a bit of a one-year-wonder. The '80 850L was the only one with a 17" rear tire and that particular bodywork. Other than that, all the basic mechanical stuff is the same as the rest of the 850 line.

Comment

Deja Vu, man. I started out in the same situation. Same bike, same color even.

I started out on a good engine, so all I had to do was a crap-ton of maintenance to make it a reliable old beast. Once you can prove it will run, make sure you do the same. (Fair warning: you will spend more money in new parts than the bike will ever be worth. But you wouldn't be here if the journey was less important than the desination.)

See the link to the mega-welcome in my signature to get you started.

It'll be a ridiculously fun bike to ride once you get it sorted out. And once the rototiller handlebars are in the scrap pile.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

thanks for the welcome guys!

so just a little bit of an update. this whole project is going to be a one night a week type of build. it will be slow going but at least it will be going!

so i started to tear into her. found that the front brake system is completely jelled up

http://

i got her naked for a better inspection.

it has new spark plugs but found 2 of them barely even seated and once i pulled them i found water in the #1 and #3 pistons. #2&#4 look good. i got out the pump and sucked the water out and replaced it with some mystery marvel. im going to let it set for a week with the occasional jog of the starter. and next weekend im going to rock it in 5th and hopefully that frees it up. either way she is getting a top end rebuild i just want to make removing the jug a little easier.

i pulled the side covers off for inspection and to my surprise fresh oil! everything looked brand new which i have mixed feelings about. like i said before i bought this bike to tear into it but i cant justify fixing something that isnt broke.

but thats about as far as i got. i did spend most of the time making a list and book marking rebuild kits on ebay. the wife gave me a weekly allowance to put towards the bike which i cant exceed ..grr.. but atleast most of the things ill need are under $100.

well until next weekend! hopefully i can get the pistons freed up and the engine pulled before the end of it!
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi and welcome. I am curious though... Are you sure the engine is locked up? I onlly ask because if the clutch switch is corroded that will prevent the bike from turning over when you hold the clutch in to try to start the bike.

Have you tried to put it into a high gear and pop the clutch while rolling it to see if the motor spins?
              2010 Honda VFR1200F
              1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
              Being Revisited
              1981 Honda CM400T
              http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Originally posted by Dropkicknick View Post

it has new spark plugs but found 2 of them barely even seated and once i pulled them i found water in the #1 and #3 pistons. #2&#4 look good. i got out the pump and sucked the water out and replaced it with some mystery marvel. im going to let it set for a week with the occasional jog of the starter. and next weekend im going to rock it in 5th and hopefully that frees it up. either way she is getting a top end rebuild i just want to make removing the jug a little easier.

My apologies... I somehow missed reading this earlier?
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T
                http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
                  My apologies... I somehow missed reading this earlier?
                  its alright i tend to just skim peoples paragraphs too

Comment

had some down time at work so i made my fork seal tool

19mm nut tig'd to 22in of tool steel with a 5 in "T" handle

Comment

Well the mystery marvel worked but not in the way I had intended. In pistons #1&#4 it ate away what was left of the head gasket and is leaking out. In pistons #2&#3 it's leaking out of the exhaust gasket

So after a few rocks in 5th I decided I'm just going to pull it and use a torch and mallet.

Air box and carbs came off relatively easy surprisingly

Visually they don't look bad but I hear something rattling in carbs #3&#4. I'm going to wait till the kit comes in before I open them I don't want to lose anything.

Looks like some little friends were taking up shop under the carbs ad left a few presents. Also found a packing peanut which I assume was the beginnings of a nest. This got me a little worried so now Im going to verify all the wiring and make sure it wasent chewed on before the battery goes back in.

I was 4 bolts away from having the engine floating before my wife called me in the house... which means i done for the day lol

Almost out!

Also if you refer back to the picture of the exhaust flange you will notice the lack of rust. Those bolts just zipped right out which made my day just a little better

Comment

Did I navigate their website wrong or does Wiscoe not make pistons for this bike? If not anyone got a part number for "better then stock" pistons but nothing to crazy? I don't want to tweak more then I have to. I'm going to take the jug to a machine shop to get it cleaned up but that's the extent of what I'm willing to pay someone else to do. I want this bike built 99% by me

Comment

With only 5k on the bike it is doubtful there is anything wrong with the pistons. I would take the engine apart and measure everything before thinking about going to a machine shop. You may only need to re-hone the bores. A mix of kerosene and ATF makes a great penetrating oil to free up stuck rusted parts.

Comment

The rattling in the carbs is probably just the floats flopping around, normal when they are empty and dry.

I highly doubt the Marvel oil has eaten the head gasket also.
                            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post

I highly doubt the Marvel oil has eaten the head gasket also.

Well it wasent leaking 3 days before hand. So I'm going with it ate whatever was left of the gasket. The stater cover gasket was damn near dust when I pulled it so I'm guess the head gasket wasn't far off from the same state.

Comment

Working...
                              X