No announcement yet.

A resurrection more than a restoration or rebuild; the final form of Miss Bugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A resurrection more than a restoration or rebuild; the final form of Miss Bugly

First the back story then the pictures and the details....

1983 GS1100ED: from near death to standing on two feet, er, wheels.

Miss Bugly, aka The Dowager Queen of the Willamette Valley

Miss Bugly was born in 1983 to a Japanese mother and father. She found her way to the U.S. and began her career somewhere in California. Making her way to Ashland, Oregon via Redding, California she has been abused, flogged, mistreated, left out in the elements, suffered at the ham-handed attempts to repair her, all the while quietly enduring the slings and arrows of neglect and abandonment.
    Rescued from the hands of someone who knew nothing of her glorious yet checkered past, (and knew little of proper mechanical procedure) I rescued her from certain death by modification, repairing her damaged systems and acquiring parts she needed to make her, once again a steed of worthy ownership.
    Miss Bugly now stands before you, neither pretty or respectable, but functional and reliable and a mount you can be proud to call your own.
    She came to me with clip-ons, Chinese gauges, no chain guard, brutalized seat and tail piece, LED turn signals and missing a bunch of stock parts. Re-wired badly, a new wiring harness was required and all electrice checked, replaced when needed and tested to make sure everything works. Everything now works and she is titled, registered and ridden daily. Yes, I said ridden daily and serviced by yours truly. She still needs a few minor repairs and stock parts but as she sits, this is a running and reliable 1983 Suzuki GS1100ED with a little over 13K original miles.

Long Live Miss Bugly, Dowager Queen of the Willamette Valley!

Sorry, the sun peaked out as I was shooting...

I tell you this tale and show these pictures only to say this. I know that there are many who pride themselves in having a really nice example, and in the past I too have restored, shown and actually won awards for my bikes. Sadly that time is long in the rear view mirror and I am, as based on government statistics, "poor." I am actually broke, because I have God, my friends and family so that makes me rich in spirit, not rich in pocketbook.

Anywho, I ride my bike as daily transport, only using the crown vic when it rains. With little monies to make her shine and gleam, I choose to make her mechanically sound, safe and legal. I put my heart into keeping her up and running but she gets so little respect because she doesn't look like the others.

I would like to see here on the BOTM someone like Miss Bugly, as a tribute to us little guys who are unable (for whatever reason) to own/restore a prime example of our Suzukis. Is that too much to ask? I only ask as I am sure there are many more of me than one thinks, and I believe we should get at least a little recognition for the sweat, pain, time and bags of Doritos we had to endure to make our steeds what they are.

Miss Bugly still needs the clutch welded, anti-dive hooked back up and finishing touches on fuel gauge hook-up, battery light, finding the few parts I still need to have her be completely stock. She is what she is and I make no excuses for her. She rides great and still gets comments from those who know old Suzi's.

I am here for the duration and as soon as my SSI kicks in (June 15) I will be able to travel and meet as many of you as I can.
    1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
    1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
    1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
    1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Great post Jake and thanks for sharing. I love your neck of the woods and it is one of my favorite places to visit.
    I think your bike looks great and commend you on all the hard work with limited cash.

Comment

Getting it to where it is reliable and you can ride it safely is the main thing, no matter how it bad or good it looks. Nice!

Comment

I like her.

I have a fellow right up her alley. His name is "Muttley" and he is a 1982 GS1100EZ frame with an '83 1100ED engine. He also has gauges, wheels, stock exhaust, and front forks off an '83. Body work was painted to match (as closely as possible) the '82 fancy candy maroon, and the controls are off of an '85 GS1150EF.

He's a bit of a mutt, but that's what makes him charming. He was rescued from a yayhoo in Kentucky who "was gonna build himself a dragbike", but instead the bike sat in his back yard under a tarp for several years.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Nice machine sir.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Good job, Jake. Now you can go to John Day with us!
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Thank you for the support and words of wisdom, Miss Bugly feels better now knowing some people respect her for who she is.

bobgroger; I so want to go yet the ride is 9th through 11th and my first SSI check is not deposited until the 15th. I'm trying to get some part time work to fill the gap until then, I want to commit but would feel bad if at the last minute could not honor my obligation.

bonanzadave; your sentiments are greatly appreciated.

griffin; I think Muttley and Miss Bugly would get along swimmingly. A shame they are separated by the Mississippi River. Although part of my bucket list is to motorcycle on the east side of the big muddy, so maybe one day soon we can introduce them.

mnferwerda; Thanks from Oregon to Maryland!

bikemtn; Appreciate the sentiment, once my income is set I would love to ride out to the eastern desert and get together. Maybe there is a place halfway we could meet?

Could never have resurrected her without the wisdom, skill, talent and half-assery prevalent here. Kudos for all the help.

Comment

Pretty sure we are going to have some extra beds we can donate, or there is camping a couple blocks from the motel. Gas and food should get you through... Since Trevor is not going we should have plenty of beer to go around.
                sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by oregonjake View Post
                  bikemtn; Appreciate the sentiment, once my income is set I would love to ride out to the eastern desert and get together. Maybe there is a place halfway we could meet?
                  I would love to try to get to the PNW meet up in John Day, but 99% sure that I cannot make it this year. Although I have been toying with the idea of hitting Rattle Snake grade and heading over towards Joseph and the Wallowas. A bit further west toward Sisters would probablybe halfway..... My best friend has a 76 CB750F and we have been talking about a fun ride. I will have to let you know if a plan comes to fruition.

Comment

No worries. If you do decide to make a ride anywhere near Sisters (or Bend) I will be there. PM me and I will give you my contact info.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X