Larger gas tank for '81 GS650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger gas tank for '81 GS650L

Hi, my shaft drive GS 650 L's gas tank only holds 12 liters (3.2 US gallons). As result I can only ride some 120 kms (75 m.) before it runs dry. Is there a bigger gas tank from another GS model that will fit?? I believe the standard GS 650 model has a 16 liter tank (4.2 US gallon) but I have been told that it does not fit because the frame was modified on the GS 650 L.Secondly, are there GS models with even bigger tanks that MIGHT fit my "Custom" GS 650L???? I already have a 750GT tank and another GS ...L tank (don't know which model it came from) but neither one fits. Of course, I would gladly swap either or both tanks for a bigger tank that would fit my GS 650L. Any suggestions? Sources? Thanks, adrianvee

Don't switch tanks, switch motorcycles.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This is always a difficult thread question. A few members here or there may chime in that they have used "this" tank on "that" bike......there are very few direct swap tanks between models. Some will "fit" but require moving and re welding the mounting points. If you were doing a full teardown project bike that is a lot easier to re weld mounts and get an oddball tank to fit.
      Often the front mounts near the steering neck will fit but the rear mount near the seat will need to be changed. Either the new tank will be longer or it uses a different bolt pattern at the rear so must be modified to bolt on.
      I have often though about starting a thread to gather info on tank interchangeability song could create a master list for the forum. I just don't think there are enough direct swaps to even bother. Every one would have a footnote that some modification is required.

Comment

When you say your tank is going "dry", are you including the reserve?

If you are, you would be better off improving the fuel efficiency. Going through 3.2 gallons in 75 miles is only about 23.4 mpg.

If you are only counting the main part of the tank, you would be going through about 2.2 gallons, which would be about 34 mpg. That bike should be getting closer to 45-50 mpg.

The 650 is a decent bike, but the L version, with its smaller tank, is almost worthless.
        As tkent suggested, "switch motorcycles".

Comment

Working...
        X