78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric restoration....

Time for all the electrical components to get a make over now...
    have a new complete Dyna ignition system, and fixing up my handlebar switches at the moment
    Still need to get a newer style voltage regulator, to replace my reg/rectifier...just not sure what to get yet.
    Also need to get wiring straightened out...(headlight wiring cut from PO putting on windjammer)...and cut up ignition switch...
    Attached Files

Comment

Left for Dead GS1000 Vance/Hines header and Dyna ignition

My header showed up today...
      The options were obviously pretty slim to near none...
      I remember back in the day when I had my first 1000E, there must have been at least 10 companies that had a header to fit.

Need to decide if I'm going with a stage 3 and my 26's or the set of 29's I have on my other GS.
      (the other GS has a 80 head and a set of 33's on the shelf...)
      Attached Files

Comment

Hindle has made some stainless systems.
        I have not seen one on a GS yet but have seen and heard one on a CB1100F and it was excellent.
        I think Ripple Rock Racing is the sole distributor.
        Ripple Rock Racers manufactures custom performance motorcycle exhausts and aluminum billet triples. More horsepower, less weight. For those that are serious about racing.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I had no idea that was available...tried to do a search on exhaust...but few options came up.
          I did find a stainless pipe, a guy in California does a couple times a year (Moto GP or some name like that)
          But the pipe mounts to the foot peg...and the rest of the lower peg mount gets cut off.
          The whole point originally for this bike, was to make a easy to ride cruiser, so my wife could ride comfortably...
          With no foot pegs, or higher mounted pegs... I'd be back to where I was with all my other bikes then.

Comment

Getting close enough, I can almost see an end in sight for this project.
            When it's done and running, I'll post all the detail pics of everything changed/rebuilt.
            One at a time for now... Finished up my much newer design rear master and mounts/fittings/linkage...
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's my later generation rear caliper mounted with a GS1100 swing arm, GS1150 rotor, GS1000C hub, stainless spokes and Sun 3.5x18 aluminum rim....and all my refinished bolts.....still need to make up a brake line yet to completely finish...
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks amazing, I really like the 1150 rotor compared to the stock one. Beautiful rims.....
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Is AWESOME!!!!
                  G
                  sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                  2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                  Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                  '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Thanks for the positive words guys.
                    I really like the way RG500 MK III / MK V (and GS1000R) front ends look, with the antidive and first gen floating rotors.
                    No $$$ for the real thing, but GS1100 forks and 1150 rotors are close enough for the street.
                    I know antidive gives a mushy brake feel, so I am using a B-King radial master cylinder to solve that issue.
                    Still not sure what I am going to use for calipers yet though, to work with these rotors...???...want rotors to match the rear....
                    Attached Files

Comment

B-King radial master on my GS1000

Here's the B-King radial master cylinder I am hoping solves the spongy brake feel with my antidive....
                      Fits / looks just like it was designed to go with the rest of my bike
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ignition and charging system done

All wiring done now, all connections have tested good, and ready to get carbs rejetted this weekend.
                        Then clean inside of tank, rebuild petcock, put in the oil and new plugs.... Then fire it up.
                        Hopefully then I can set timing and check carb sync.

Then it's on the ground, after I get my front calipers mounted how I want...

.....getting closer....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Busa1300,

Good to see you've gone down the SH-775 path for the reg/rec. The final touch, to save you from being stranded on the side of the road, would be to prevent chafing of the 5 wires draped over the top edge of the electrical mounting plate. Eventually vibration will cause the wiring insulation to wear through on the sharp edge of the plate. A thin strip of moulded rubber fitted onto the edge of the plate is ideal, or just wrap the wires in a layer of thin sheet rubber or electrical tape.
                          If you already have plans to do this, then ignore what I've just written....
                          2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
                          1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
                          1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

It's in the plan

Comment

Calipers for wire wheels...GS1000

I decided to use calipers off a 2001 600 Bandit.
                              I was not going to use spacers on rotors, to move them out for 4 piston calipers.
                              Still undecided on which one of two methods I'm going to use to mount them though?
                              Attached Files

Comment

figured out caliper mounts

Brackets are done, rebuilding calipers and mounting this weekend.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X