78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
    If I ever got a Suzi 2 stroke street bike, that would be amazing... RD400's are my favorite in terms of capability/power/parts availability, but it's NOT a Suzuki...
    If you really want a powerful lightweight Suzuki two stroke.....something that would stomp ANY RD400 into the ground in every aspect.....
    RGV

Parts availability is not bad and there are sources for parts still sold by Suzuki as well in Japan....through megazip.

A true 60+ rear wheel horsepower machine, that handles like GSXR with only half the weight.
    My VJ23 handles like no other bike I have ever owned...and pulls like a freight train all the way to 12500RPM.

My VJ22 is a generation before, but the engine can be tuned to near 70HP and still be streetable, as there are more parts available aftermarket.

Comment

85.2 at the rear wheel at 7900 with a near dead flat A/F ratio..... Clutch slipped on a couple occasions but not bad for a 40 year old parts bike

Comment

That thing sounds wonderful
        I build Pipers

Comment

End to this story...
          After getting the GS running as perfect as I could.....I used it a few times....parked it.....and it sat unused as I built up other projects.
          As much as I liked the bike, it just wasn't my kind of bike....too casual I guess.
          So I put a Craigslist ad up in July 2019 and it sold in about 4 days to a guy about 6 hours away (just outside Nashville area).....Have never heard a word of the bike since.

Selling a perfectly good running bike for another project.....insane I know.......(I still have one GS1000 yet that will get some attention on here one day)
          The project I sold the GS to buy.... a two stroke, one quarter the size.
          One of 500 built for homologation purposes for Japanese F3 TT racing. Yamaha's first (and last) V-twin stroker
          Designed side by side with the first V-twin race bike, the 3YL and then the 4DP
          Rough condition, but complete with every special one off part still intact.

Yea, I know.....WTF was I thinking you say.....?
          Because this is one of the baddest little strokers to ever have a plate and lights.

It's an addiction, once you own a few, you just can't stop.

Comment

So many bikes...so little time!

First time I’ve seen this thread.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Busa, I certainly won't question your decision.
              Two strokes are awesome, and your growing collection of rare / unusual machines is quite impressive.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                So many bikes...so little time!

First time I’ve seen this thread.

Ed
                So little time is true.
                Lucky to have more than 6 months a year of useful riding weather here....
                ...on top of the fact that even when the weather is good, the roads are boring as hell...

Now that I have rode my KTM 1290 SDGT the past season, I question why I have any other bike.
                I could make life much easier and cheaper once retirement age finally hits.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Busa, I certainly won't question your decision.
                Two strokes are awesome, and your growing collection of rare / unusual machines is quite impressive.
                Thanks, .....late model two strokes are a little known entity in the motorcycling world (at least here in the States) ....understood by few.
                But it's my niche I guess for now.

But as said before....regardless how fun they are, they still hibernate way more than operate......PS...glad to see you made the cover month on oldskool

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
                  End to this story...
                  After getting the GS running as perfect as I could.....I used it a few times....parked it.....and it sat unused as I built up other projects.
                  As much as I liked the bike, it just wasn't my kind of bike....too casual I guess.
                  So I put a Craigslist ad up in July 2019 and it sold in about 4 days to a guy about 6 hours away (just outside Nashville area).....Have never heard a word of the bike since.

Selling a perfectly good running bike for another project.....insane I know.......(I still have one GS1000 yet that will get some attention on here one day)
                  The project I sold the GS to buy.... a two stroke, one quarter the size.
                  One of 500 built for homologation purposes for Japanese F3 TT racing. Yamaha's first (and last) V-twin stroker
                  Designed side by side with the first V-twin race bike, the 3YL and then the 4DP
                  Rough condition, but complete with every special one off part still intact.

Yea, I know.....WTF was I thinking you say.....?
                  Because this is one of the baddest little strokers to ever have a plate and lights.

It's an addiction, once you own a few, you just can't stop.

GLWS for that beauty.
                  Now Randy, about that spare CBX engine collecting dust under the shelf....
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Its only been over the last few years that I have discovered thru web browsing, your posts, etc, that there was life beyond the RZ 350 / 400.... and quite a bit at that.

Considering the minimal modifications on my ES, the Old Skool BOTM was a shock to me, especially in light of the high quality craftsmanship / reengineering that goes on there. They don't take submissions as far as I know, so the selection was a complete surprise.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one... You did a really nice job on that bike. You seem to have a love of speed. You and I should get together sometime this summer and ride.
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        GLWS for that beauty.
                        Now Randy, about that spare CBX engine collecting dust under the shelf....
                        The GS was sold, and I bought the TZR out of Japan with the money....shipped it....then pieced it back together and got it running after a lifetime of abuse followed by neglect.
                        Still needs a rebuild at some point for a fresh start, but it will be a long term keeper.
                        The CBX engine goes with the CBX.....not officially for sale yet, but I do want to sell it this spring...every bit of my CBX stuff will all go.
                        Almost 25 years of ownership.....it's time to pass on the responsibility to someone else.
                        You have room for one more don't you

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        Its only been over the last few years that I have discovered thru web browsing, your posts, etc, that there was life beyond the RZ 350 / 400.... and quite a bit at that.

Considering the minimal modifications on my ES, the Old Skool BOTM was a shock to me, especially in light of the high quality craftsmanship / reengineering that goes on there. They don't take submissions as far as I know, so the selection was a complete surprise.
                        If there is ever a day you want to get more in depth with the 65HP 275 pound rockets that Suzuki used to sell...let me know
                        BOTM....They knew you were Oldskool through and through....keeping the legend alive on this side of the pond.

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                        Oh yeah, I forgot about this one... You did a really nice job on that bike. You seem to have a love of speed. You and I should get together sometime this summer and ride.
                        Thanks.
                        I do like speed....I am actually taking my Hayabusa and my RGV VJ21 that I am doing a complete rebuild on, to Bonneville Salt Flats this year. (bucket list)
                        I have rode to Lake Michigan a few times, but don't get much past the wineries over that way when my wife goes with me.
                        I bought my KTM from the dealer in Hobart....is that close to you?

Comment

I'm down by Knox. I ride with a group a few times a year, and we head up to Michigan for food, and change of scenery. Most roads around us are quite boring as far as cornering. There are some better spots up there, just have to pick ones that have been maintained. Potholes can be brutal up there. I ride a '95 GSXR750W, and have an '83 GS750T (currently dead). I think I've asked you in the past, but where are you?
                          '83 GS 1100T
                          The Jet

sigpic
                          '95 GSXR 750w
                          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                            I'm down by Knox. I ride with a group a few times a year, and we head up to Michigan for food, and change of scenery. Most roads around us are quite boring as far as cornering. There are some better spots up there, just have to pick ones that have been maintained. Potholes can be brutal up there. I ride a '95 GSXR750W, and have an '83 GS750T (currently dead). I think I've asked you in the past, but where are you?
                            I’m a few miles east of Elkhart.
                            Roads in my area are great if you like straight lines...and corn fields to look at.
                            I always head into Michigan or a bit south to Lake Wawasee area...
                            My strokers don’t venture out too far from home, but I’ll take the SuperDuke anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
                              Roads in my area are great if you like straight lines...and corn fields to look at.
                              Sounds like you just described my location except for the fact that I have to go about six hours to get to the good stuff. Must be why I trailer everywhere now.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

The group I ride with, are mostly from the Mishawaka area, with a few from Elkhart and Southbend. We venture into Elkhart now and then. Maybe we can get a ride dialed in over the summer.
                                '83 GS 1100T
                                The Jet

sigpic
                                '95 GSXR 750w
                                The Rocket

Comment

Working...
                                X