Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750E Project

Hi all,

Here's a bit of my project that I started this past winter. I bought a used 1979 GS750E with sidecar. It was sort of a joke so that my girlfriend could ride with me while still being able to fall asleep, but then I actually ended up buying one.

This project is not too serious, I plan on doing a lot more in the long run, this is just what I had the budget for this time.

This is before I bought the bike.

Middle of snowstorm pickup.

Bike in the woodshop.

Quick idea sketch of what I was looking for

Rear bar testing

Tried my hand at sewing the seat cover.

Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2016, 05:59 PM.

I wanted to be able to lock my helmet under the seat pan still, so I kept some of that functionality and added an actuator.

Did a bit of polishing to clean things up.

Cleaned up some of the wiring. I think next year I'll probably redo the whole wiring loom.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I used some old water filters I had laying around to cover the gauges.

I made an sound unit which is triggered when the turn signals are activated. Basically it just makes a beep sound every time to turn signal turns on, this way I don't forget it on. On my previous bike I just had a separate led wired up as an indicator, but I wanted to try something different this time.

Hidden away behind a panel.

Here's just a reminder not to kill myself on the bike.
      I still need to do some adjustments on the sidecar, the previous owner hadn't done much maintenance on this thing.

Cheers!

Comment

That's a pretty nifty rig you have there. A sidecar is definitely one of my next projects but up here in the northeast it's been hell just finding the sidecar alone for less than $1500.

Comment

I really admire your ingenuity and you've done a real nice job considering how little money you spent. That side car is just what I need for the wife, falling asleep behind me and knocking my helmet with hers is not my idea of fun.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Impressive skills on your custom work, Farnworth.
            Now we need to see some of your woodworking skills.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the friendly comments!

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              Impressive skills on your custom work, Farnworth.
              Now we need to see some of your woodworking skills.
              My woodworking skills are definitely not on par with my metal working. I've only recently started renting out this wood shop with some friends. Maybe in 10 years I'll post something hahah

Here's our first ride in it this week, pretty fun to drive.

Comment

Nice setup man. Super dope!

Comment

Now this is my kind of build thread! Coming out swinging with some awesome work and plenty of pictures! The audible turn signal is a cool idea (nice use of the adafruit sound board, I'll have to check that out). What brake light is that? Integrated run/turn/brake I assume?
                  1983 GS650G
                  Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

This looks awesome. Love the custom made seat. Also, what are those turn signals? Look exactly like what I've been searching for to get rid of the big bug eyes on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyC View Post
                      Now this is my kind of build thread! Coming out swinging with some awesome work and plenty of pictures! The audible turn signal is a cool idea (nice use of the adafruit sound board, I'll have to check that out). What brake light is that? Integrated run/turn/brake I assume?
                      Thanks! The brake light is from this mediocre company called Radiantz in the states, the quality is average. It does have the run/turn/brake integrated but I'm only using it for brakes. I wouldn't recommend this product honestly, it was defective from the box and I had to jerry rig it to work.

Originally posted by knikkz31 View Post
                      This looks awesome. Love the custom made seat. Also, what are those turn signals? Look exactly like what I've been searching for to get rid of the big bug eyes on mine.
                      Thanks, the turn signals are Motogadget m-blaze signals. They're pretty amazing but expensive. The cheapest I've found is directly from Motogadget (German manufacturer).
                      They have a few other models that are nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X