Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2x 82' 1100GZ Rebuilds

Hello there,
    I'm in Portland, Oregon. I picked up two of these guys at the racetrack swap meet a couple months ago. One of them was wrecked so we haven't messed with that one much yet. These forums are really hard for me to navigate for information. I'm an Iraq war infantry veteran and I've got mild TBI.
    Anyways, got one started on the first try, it hadn't started in over 10 years. Rode it around for a couple of minutes then it started smoking. The left side crank case gasket was bad. But oil was also coming up and out of it into the starter tray. Figured out it's because the old owner took the alternator out! And no rectifier installed either, yay.
    I've already got some new shocks for it. I would like to put a modern front end on with awesome brakes. Who makes the best brake lines? We're going to redo the wiring after we get it running solid and get it registered at the DMV etc.
    We're going to put modern lighting on it.
    What's the best regulator/rectifier?
    Actually, I just want to overhaul all of the electrical, please send any help you can.
    I'm curious about aftermarket support or whatever for wheels as well.
    Has anyone done a mono shock conversion with the shaft driven bikes? What's the biggest tire I can squeeze into the back? Is the shaft housing modifiable at all for more clearance? Etc...
    Thanks guys and gals.
    PwhirL

I posted this in another section as well, because when I started writing this I had another issue but I figured it out on my own.

In order I would:
    1. Adjust the valves.
    2. Clean the carbs (dip 24 hours or sonic clean for 2-3). New O-rings from cycleorings.com mandatory. Assuming it's a 2 valve you need the intake boot o-rings as well. Porbably the intake boots themselves if it has been neglected.
    3. Make sure the air filter is clean then use weatherstripping to seal the airbox. If the boots from airbox to carbs are rock hard they will need replaced. (The alternative to this is to run pods with a Dynojet kit but that's a touchy subject with some here. Get it running right as is first then start mods like pods and exhaust)
    4. Electrosport stator.
    5. SH-775 regulator. This is a must especially with the Electrosport stator as it outputs more than stock and a shunt regulator will cook your charging system.
    6. Coil relay mod.
    7. Replace the brake lines for sure. There are various sources. I usually order mine on ebay generally from China. I'm okay with that as they are shipped to my lengths needed and are cheaper. Some aren't okay with China. Your call.
    8. Inspect brake pads/clutch plates/ clutch fibers/etc. Pretty much give the whole bike a once over for loose bolts or cruddy electrical connections. Clean/tighten/etc as needed.
    9. Replace the tires. Even if they aren't dry rotted they are way out of date and likely hard as a rock. Unsafe at any speed (Ralph Nader anyone? LOL)
    10. My personal preference is to replace wheel and stem bearings as mandatory unless I know damn well the history of the bike.
    There isn't much you can do for custom wheels since the bike is a shafty. The swingarm will accept a 130/90 tire and that's about it. I have seen mono shock shafty conversions but they are labor intensive and imo not a super great idea. Modern front end on a cruiser like the 1100G is kind of wasted as well. Get a set of progressive or Sonic fork springs and 7.5 - 15w fork oil (higher is firmer) and call it a day. I hope this helps. Remember: We like pictures. Thanks for your service.

Comment

For brake lines try Rennsport. Coastguard1975 on ebay. Custom made, I have them on 3 bikes. Highly recommended. +1 on the SH775, search eBay for Polaris 4012941 and buy a used one that actually says SH775. There are a lot of fakes. Flush the 20 year old brake fluid when replacing brake lines, disassemble and clean the calipers and master cylinders. This is safety stuff. See the 10 newbie mistakes thread. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ewbie-Mistakes
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses.

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm going with pods. There's a whole bunch of these ElectroSport Stators on Amazon. Which one have you guys had good luck with? Where's the best deal on the SH-775?

http://www.amazon.com/PURE-POLARIS-R...olaris+4012941

The entire bikes are being torn down completely. No corners will be cut on anything done. Every molecule will be cleaned and dressed. We just haven't messed with these 1100GZs before is all. Decades of experience between us in design, fab, customizing, wrenching, etc.

Has anyone on here done something like this
        http://www.kzrider.com/forum/11-proj...onent&type=raw, just the conversion in the rear.
        If so I would love to get your math.

We're not doing a restoration, when I've got something beautiful to show you guys I'll take some pictures. I'm not really the type of guy that takes pictures every day and all of that, more of a before and after kind of guy.

Alright guys, I'm going to check and see if there's anymore responses and going to get back to reading all of this glorious information I'm finding on here.
        P.

One other thing, where can I get a new bolt kit? And will 2001 GSXR 1000 forks fit? Are they the correct length?
        Picked up an LED tail light signal combo at a bike shop, won't blink, inline resistors aren't helping. Assuming I'm going to need a new signal relay. Any recommendations? I'm not really concerned with the auto shut off.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X