Bike Cranks But won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Cranks But won't start!

Hey guys just thought i would run this bye everyone! having a few problems with my 1982 GS850!!

Compressions in all 4 cylinders is about 120
    all 4 sprak plugs are giving off a really good spark!

My problem is the bike will crank and crank but it just won't turn over! it seriously sounds like it is so close! it will kick over for a second or 2 and then just go back to cranking! the choke doesn't seem like it is doing anything either but I'm pulling manually not with the cord! and suggestion as to why it cranks and cranks but won't turn over!?

Any help is good thanks

No gas....
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As Nessism says, it sounds like no fuel is getting through. Fresh fuel in the tank? Is the petcock on the main position or prime? Are the plugs getting wet? Have the carbs been cleaned and rebuilt? Is this a new problem or long standing? New bike to you or have you had it a while? You can stop with all the exclamation marks as well!!!

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Ether...hit it with a single shot of ether. If it runs on that clean the carbs and fuel system.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Also be aware that "cranking" IS "turning over". It might not be "firing", but it IS "turning over".

As others have asked, is this something new? Never mind, I just looked at your first two posts (this one is your third).
          In March, you got the bike and it wasn't running.
          In April, you had "cleaned the carbs to the best of your ability" and installed pods.
          Now, in July, you say it's not running (again).

How much (if any) of the basic maintenance have you done?
          - Cleaning carbs "to the best of your ability" is not much of a description, they need to be CLEAN. PERIOD.
          - If you insist on keeping the pods, the carbs need to be re-jetted.
          - The valve clearances need to be checked.
          - The electrical system needs to be cleaned and checked for proper operation.
          - Brakes need to be cleaned and checked for proper operation.
          - Tires need to be checked for age and replaced if necessary.

I saw in your previous posts that it takes you 20 minutes to get the bike running? I must admit that you have a REALLY good battery.
          It should take about half a second press on the starter button, using about 1/2 to 3/4 "choke" to get it running, then about 30 seconds of "warm-up" while putting on your helmet, then ride off. By the time you get into third gear, turn the "choke" OFF and keep going. By the time you get your bike going, I will have gone to the local burger stand, had my meal and returned.

Take a look at Nessism's signature block (you don't have to go very far, it's post #2 in this thread), read the item called "Top Newbie Mistakes", see how many of them apply to YOU.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X