what should I do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should I do now?

Ok, so long story short. After two years of lean finances the stars finally lined up for me to finish my 750 project this summer. I picked up the final parts that I had been saving for and was mid way into my fork conversion when something caught my eye. It appears that somewhere in my bikes former life the stator side lower frame rail may have taken a hit. The bike will not sit level on stands. That frame rail seems to be up by about 1/4". Now I have double checked the bench, it's good. I checked th jackstands, and they are good, the neck of the bike is level, and the swingarm pivot is level. When th bike has wheels it seems to sit fine, but this is driving me crazy. I can't complete the bike if I know the frame is bent. I've been looking high and low for a good, titled, first gen gs750 frame or parts bike but I'm not having much luck. I have only found one in all of Ontario, and it has a hole in it.
    My question is....
    is it possible to put my 8v motor into a 16v frame? The 16v bikes are all over the place and cheap. I know it sounds backwards, but my motor is equipped with the wiseco 844 kit, Andrews Sll cams, and a yoshimura 4:1 with a period correct can.. I have extensive head work done and a ton of detailing. I can't bear to let this motor go.

My options are to build with the bend, the bike is straight but I will never be truly happy with it.
    option two is put my parts onto a readily available 16v frame if I can make it work.
    option 3 is build a 16v bike and sit on all of my 8v parts until I can find a good 8v frame to mate them upto. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If you are sure your bench is level, and the frame is level upon that, then put your engine mounting bolts in, and check those for level. If everything sits square, then the next step is to ensure that the engine itself fits above the rail. If that's ok, then you can choose to ignore it, or 'persuade' it back into line. A 1/4'' really isn't that much - could have been like that from the factory.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

There are many imperfect frames out there, and 1/4" is hardly that. When I first got my bike, I was so excited to ride it that only after installing new handlebars I discovered how crooked the originals were. Steveb922 has a good point with the 'persuasion' though, if not at home you can probably find a shop to adjust it. Also, if you're near Toronto I'd contact T.O. Cycle and ask for Ralph the owner (416-259-7991), if you haven't yet. He may even have a frame for you, or at least a lead to a shop to fix up yours.
      1980 GS1100E

Comment

Ok, I've taken some more measurements, and it just gets worse. The frame is twisted. I don't know how it happened, but it is. If I level the bike at the frame rail that acts as the lower rear motor mount, then my motor sits level. However the front of the bike (if looking at it from the rear) is twisted to the left, and the rear is twisted to the right. Its not a lot, just a few degrees in each direction, but it explains a few fitment issues I've had. ibwill Try to cycle, I've been there before, but I felt his prices were a little high. I've sold titled frames in the past for around $200 for nice clean straight frames ( I wish I had held onto the last one) I'm hoping to not pay much more than that. I Guess The hunt must go on...

Comment

You can have the frame straightened. I know a guy who takes all his Busa drag bike frames and has them straightened. He says every one has needed straightening to be truly straight. It usually costs about 200.00.
          1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X