Gs1000gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000gl

Hey everyone, new to the forums at least under this username. About 3 or 4 years ago, I was on here and got a ton of help for a GS750 that I built..and I'm back again. I've used the information all of you gave me on that first motorcycle on 3 others since then!

Mechanically this 1981 GS1000GL is pretty sound, I paid 300 for it and it was for the most part complete. The PO did have so fun chopping it up a little bit, but nothing that can't be fixed. I'll try to post photos when I can get to a computer (on my phone now).

Now for my questions, I have looked in numerous places for exhaust for this motorcycle. Everything I have seen (outside of Vance and Hines) has been for the GS1000G model and not the GL. I assume these motorcycles have the same engine? So is there a frame difference or an issue with running exhaust on these bikes? I would at least like to get a header to start, I can make exhaust from there.

Question number two, I've tried to find a clear cut answer for this, but have yet to find one. Will a GS1100 set of heads fit on my GS1000GL. I've tried to figure out the different variables that I've read about and everything seems different depending on what post in reading. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in Advance,
    Brandon

The difference between the G and GL pipes is length and overall sound. The L pipes are a bit raspier, kind of giving them a "motorboat" sound. The G pipes have a more mellow sound. The fit should be pretty much the same, but you might have to make a small bracket for the rear mount.

My winter project for my wife's bike is to replace her L pipes (with the rusty downpipes and loose, rattling baffles) and replacing them with a set of G pipes with ceramic-coated downpipes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The difference between the G and GL pipes is length and overall sound. The L pipes are a bit raspier, kind of giving them a "motorboat" sound. The G pipes have a more mellow sound. The fit should be pretty much the same, but you might have to make a small bracket for the rear mount.

My winter project for my wife's bike is to replace her L pipes (with the rusty downpipes and loose, rattling baffles) and replacing them with a set of G pipes with ceramic-coated downpipes.

Much appreciated!! Thank you! Exhaust should be easier to find now haha

Comment

Working...
      X