1977 GS750e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

😁 maybe?

ill go down and get my bicycle and sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. It's probably an electrical problem.

Going to the garage now, will see how much I get done.

Comment

IMG_0417.jpg

Got around to putting the side covers, cam cover, and exhaust on. The exhaust is so shiny it makes everything else look dirty.

Another strange I didn't notice till now, the V&H exhaust didn't come with a header collector-muffler connection, or I just lost it??

Comment

For your information, those are the original brakes, but someone went to great lengths to drill the rotor out. And that is the original swingarm, that someone went through all of the labor to chrome plate.

I'm always glad to see someone resurrecting these bikes, especially the neglected ones, rather than let them get more rare and see the neglected ones get parted out. Congratulations. If you were on my side of the ocean, I would be trying to buy this crash bars off of you!
        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I didn't realize crash bars were desireable? I took off the left one, there was no right.

The bike was definitely neglected, it was outside under a tarp when I bought it, but it did run and I rode it home.

I rode it it for almost a month and fell hard for the bike, then the cheap universal clutch cable broke. That started me trying to figure where to get OEM parts in Sweden and joining this forum. After reading and collecting information on here I had to get new intake runners, O-rings, and adjust the valves. It's become a long project but it's still rewarding.

I'm going to try and start it tonight, it takes 40mins on the tram to get to my garage so sometimes I need more motivation than just walking outside like I did in the U.S.

Comment

Well, I decided not to be one of those guys so I'm going to do a thorough cleaning of the carburetors. I went to the nearest Mom and Pop shop, there are no peps and auto z's here, and explained to the guy my lack of knowledge on how to clean motorcycle carburetors in Sweden, as well as explained the dip conviently found in the states. He had me follow him to the back of the store to his office and showed me his brand new ultrasound cleaner, unused. So, I asked him how much it would be, he just smiled and said bring them by and will try it out together. Solid guy.

I'm on my way to the garage now, need to get some cleaning done to the garage, and I'm bringing a small table to put the disassembled carb on. I did get the bike to fire last time with the carbs on, no c clips, and two year old stabilized gas, however after put one liter of oil in it all came out the oil filter where the gasket was partially hanging out, my bad. Also, the #3 carb was leaking which they never did before.

So, the plan is to clean up, then sand and paint the top of the triple tree, and back of the head light.

i've decided to post-pone the clip-ons, rear sets, and cafe seat mainly due to lack of funds. Hopefully by mid summer I will have a full time job and a running GS750 at least.

Comment

Originally posted by jibledso View Post
              Well, I decided not to be one of those guys so I'm going to do a thorough cleaning of the carburetors.

So, the plan is to clean up, then sand and paint the top of the triple tree, and back of the head light.

i've decided to post-pone the clip-ons, rear sets, and cafe seat mainly due to lack of funds. Hopefully by mid summer I will have a full time job and a running GS750 at least.
              That's all excellent ideas, function first. You can take off parts later and refurbish or modify them, get the essential mechanical workings of the bike in solid condition now & RIDE IT! Then do other modifications step-by-step so you don't have a bike that is down and not writable during the bulk of the riding season. You can just peck away at small projects one at a time while the bike is still rideable, and do the projects so that you will only have the bike down for a weekend or a few evenings. Then rideable again.
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Yeah, the only line I crossed was when I went saw crazy the first night I had it. I also had that GS850 tailpiece and instantly thought I could easily make it fit on the 750 seat pan, not so much. So, I'll just have a 750 seat sitting on top of the frame not secured, ehh, it's not like I haven't rode other older bikes like that. I don't think my 71' CB500F seat was ever fastened.

This is definitely a project like non other I've had. When I was in the U.S. I was use to just splurging on parts I needed because I could I always make money, it's not so easy here for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jibledso View Post
                  I went to the nearest Mom and Pop shop, there are no peps and auto z's here........So, I asked him how much it would be, he just smiled and said bring them by and will try it out together. Solid guy.
                  Pep Boys and Auto Zone are super convenient, and they have most of what you need... but things like that right there is why I'd rather have 1 good mom and pop shop over a million well stocked chain stores any day.

The chains pushed out damn near all of the mom and pop operations here in the states along time ago. The chains carried everything in the store. People went there because you could get things right now instead of the "I'll order it for you, it should be here in a couple of days..." answer from the mom and pop.

Funny thing is that the chains are becoming less and less convenient. Their in store inventory is down to what the mom and pop stores used to carry, because everything else has been moved to their website. So now the answer from the chain is "We don't have it in stock. I can order it for you, should be here in a couple of days...or you can just go to our website."

We're back to waiting days for anything but the most common purchases, except now we're stuck with s@&t customer service and no relationship with the proprietor.

Consider yourself lucky that you have a shop like that instead of an AdvanceAutoBoys with some kid behind the counter who wouldn't know the difference between a hose clamp and a hole in the ground.

</old man rant>
                  sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

So, finally got the rest of my parts to finish the project and my carbs back from cleaning, they didn't charge me anything!

Now after two months of have the carbs a part I've forgotten where the third spring goes. I think it's in the slide assembly inside the arm of the slide at the bottom with that little piece of metal on top and the adjuster on top of that. It would be really nice to see a schematic of the VM carbs.

What got got me worried was when I saw the picture on Bikecliff's for VM carbs, there's a picture of the slide and a spring under the needle, that can't be right? Right?

Comment

Some VM carb slides are made for a spring under the needle, some are made for no spring.
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Is it inside the slide under the clip, or outside the slide in the venturi where the needle goes into the main jet?

Comment

Inside the slide! The throttle return spring would do the job that placing it in the venturi would, no way the engineers would ever create turbulence in the venturi like that...

The slide is machined different and has a recessed well that the spring sits in on those models. I think that's the later version(?)
                          Last edited by Chuck78; 06-01-2018, 09:21 AM.
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Are you talking about # 27 in this diagram? --->https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...o-gs750e-19995

It's a bit hard to see in the fiche, but if you mean what I think you mean, you're right about where it goes. It's what keeps tension on the adjuster arm for synchronizing the carbs...
                            sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

No that's not correct, it would be under 22 or 23 in that 77 750B diagram, like THIS:

I have both styles of slides, this spring in question is only for the jet needle, & is not needed if you have the earlier style carbs. Not the spring in the rocker arm, that one is on every VM rack of carbs. This spring in question is only on the later style of VM carbs.
                              Last edited by Chuck78; 06-05-2018, 10:31 PM.
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Just look up the VM carb rebuild tutorial manual put together by a GSR member, I think it's linked on the main GSR page (not the forum but the actual GSR front page)

EDIT - Brian Wringer's GS page... not GSR. But you can't see the inner part of the slide where the spring sits!
                                Good manual to have anyway:
                                Last edited by Chuck78; 06-05-2018, 10:27 PM.
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X