79 GS1000 Top End Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000 Top End Rebuild

Good Day fellow GS'ers. I've decided to freshen up my ol GS1000. Needs a valve job and the pistons and rings are just past their service limit with standard 70mm pistons. I've had trouble finding a good set of .50 or 1.00 over pistons and rings so I've decided to go with the 1085 Wiseco kit. It's a shame to shave so much off the cylinder walls but it's gonna be done. After having 2 very reputable GS gurus view the top end, we've decided the bike needs new exhaust valve guides and intake valves also (Picked up some nos oem ones on ebay) and a good valve lapping, of course. Parts have all arrived so it's off to the machine shop for some work next week, hopefully.

My question is this....I have vm26 carbs that have been rebuilt and work great. Will I be able to continue using these carbs with the larger bore kit? If so, will I need new jetting? Just trying to anticipate what's next after the engine top end is freshened up. Everything is bone stock including the original exhaust system. I will be using the bike for street duty only so tuning up to race really doesn't interest me. I'll just buy a Hayabusa if I really wanna move!
    Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2017, 01:46 AM.

Not sure what you'll need to do on the carbs but I'm curious who you're using for the head work, Mongoose?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

On my GS1000 with 1085 kit I upped the mains from stock 95 to 112, I use a K-N filter element in shaft airbox.
      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Not sure what you'll need to do on the carbs but I'm curious who you're using for the head work, Mongoose?
        I'm hoping to go with Routledge Ent. He comes highly recommended....I did chat with the Mongoose rep at the Motorcycle show, though.

Comment

Working...
        X