Intro and a Stellar 78 GS750 Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro and a Stellar 78 GS750 Find

Hey folks, my names Matt. I'm currently in university and I've been working on vintage bikes for about 4 years now. I currently ride a 1982 Yamaha Seca 550 which I purchased for $250 last year and restored over the winter time. I've owned a GS650, 85 Ninja 600, 97 Ninja 500, 83 GPZ 550 and XS400 Maxim.

I picked up this 78 GS750 Last week for 5 bills, overall its in great shape, it does have 90'000km on it but I was able to fire it up for the first time today (started on two kicks). I got a ton of spare parts for it, the previous owner was a mechanic and looks like he bought two of nearly everything. I got 4 new pistons and rings, entire engine gasket kit and oil, new valve guides, spare cylinder head, vm26 carbs, gastank, brake rotor etc etc. The bike does smoke quite a lot, guessing bad valve seals or after 90'000km the cylinders are worn.

My plan is to tear into the engine once school is done and access it mechanical condition, if it just needs new valve seals and rings then I'll go ahead and do that and run it as a 750 for a season. However, if the bores are overspec I'll be purchasing a wiseco big bore kit for it and doing some other performance oriented modifications to the engine.

I am not entirely sure what I should do with this build, I am currently in the middle of building up a 600cc FJ engine to stick in my 550 seca and I really would like to finish that first before I commit any time and money to this. I also want to make sure that the 750 is a significant performance upgrade over my 550 seca with the 600 mill installed in it. I do like how much potential these 750's have, the aftermarket support is far superior.

Let me know what you guys think!

pics.

Attached Files

You stole that puppy. Welcome to the forum.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Nice find! For that price you can afford to rebuild the engine. That will be SWEET when finished!
      Ron
      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
      1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
      1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
      1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm really excited to get cracking on it.

Comment

Working...
        X