83 gs650gt swingarm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs650gt swingarm question

I tried my best to search for this answer but couldn't find anything. I'm restoring an 83 gs650g and I am not sure as how I remove the swing arm. It has a nut and in the center it looks like an allen is also needed. I have a manual, but it says it would need a dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Southernyooper View Post
    I tried my best to search for this answer but couldn't find anything. I'm restoring an 83 gs650g and I am not sure as how I remove the swing arm. It has a nut and in the center it looks like an allen is also needed. I have a manual, but it says it would need a dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Is that the owners manual? Or a repair manual?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Repair. It has everything in it. I've disassembled the entire bike using it. It's just, this swing arm. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, so maybe I'm over thinking something.

Comment

Originally posted by Southernyooper View Post
        Repair. It has everything in it. I've disassembled the entire bike using it. It's just, this swing arm. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, so maybe I'm over thinking something.
        Hmm, should be a section just for that.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Perhaps I've missed it, but once it mentioned swing arm removal, it said would need a dealer. Otherwise, i couldnt find it.

Comment

I had a quick look at the shop manual, and it is as vague as can be when it comes to swingarm removal. I haven't done that with the 650 yet, and I really can't picture what is involved. I think there might be a special tool involved, something akin to a bearing puller.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Right!? Well, anyway thanks for the input

Comment

It has been a while since I have had to do anything with the swingarm, I can't remember if there is a locknut arrangement or not. Might have to loosen the locknut, then use a large Allen wrench to remove the two pivots. Not sure why a dealer would need to be involved, it's just a couple of pivots that hold tapered roller bearings in place.

Also curious, why do you call it an " '83 GS650GT"? The "T" at the end is for the '80 model year, and the 650 did not appear until the '81 model year.
                The '83 model designation was "D", so you should have a GS650GD or an '83 GS650G, but it's redundant to say both, the '83 and the D.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Typo, sorry.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that. Just had questions before I tackled it.

Comment

Our 650s do have a GT model designation in the same trim, but in the European market. As far as I can see, the only difference was the "T" on the sidecovers.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        It has been a while since I have had to do anything with the swingarm, I can't remember if there is a locknut arrangement or not. Might have to loosen the locknut, then use a large Allen wrench to remove the two pivots. Not sure why a dealer would need to be involved, it's just a couple of pivots that hold tapered roller bearings in place.

Also curious, why do you call it an " '83 GS650GT"? The "T" at the end is for the '80 model year, and the 650 did not appear until the '81 model year.
                        The '83 model designation was "D", so you should have a GS650GD or an '83 GS650G, but it's redundant to say both, the '83 and the D.

I just broke one apart a few months ago and like Steve states, you use an Allen wrench to back out the pivots which do engage bearings. The hearings on the bike I was doing were froze with rust. That made it a bit difficult to get apart.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                          Our 650s do have a GT model designation in the same trim, but in the European market. As far as I can see, the only difference was the "T" on the sidecovers.
                          Exactly right in my research as well.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                          X