Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soon to start... 1981 GS450T

Hello everyone!

A few years ago now I purchased a 1981 GS450T and well it had some issues but it ran. I had had to do some small things and take it into the shop for others and it still isn't the most reliable bike out there.

Today I have decided this will change. I will be going on an adventure to take the bike apart and completely rebuild it. Now I am not an expert to working on motorcycles, or any vehicles for that matter so that is why I am here to both ask for help and share my adventure.

I understand what I am about to say may not sit with everyone - but I will likely not rebuild to 100% stock. When possible I will likely change parts out for newer and possibly more reliable parts.

Anyways on to my plan, please let me know what you think (if I should do one thing before another, etc). I will be cleaning and polishing as I go.

1. Complete tear down to the frame, separating and labeling as I go
    2. Frame and suspension work
    3. Wheels/brakes
    4. Carbs
    5. Engine teardown and restoration
    6. Wiring and putting it all back together

I plan on buying tools and new parts as I go and I understand this may end up costing me a pretty penny. Are there any tips you guys and gals can give me before I get started? I've got a lot of work to do and I'm excited.

Side question: When I bought the bike, there were only T models on the market, I myself am a fan of the E model gas tank and actually bought one shortly after but soon found out the frame is different. I know my current frame isn't in the best condition - are there any differences in engine mounting between the E and T models?

Thanks and I hope you can all help and stay tuned! I am actually going on a trip soon so I won't be able to start until next month but I figured I'd get the ball rolling. (-:

Good luck with your project - and post some pictures of your bike. Most people here would recommend that you should get the bike running well BEFORE you tear it down. If it's not running well now than doing #1, 2, 3, 6 aren't going to change that and #4 can easily and quickly be done to get a good baseline before you rip into the other stuff.

In the years you have owned it what maintenance have you done? In the least the valves should be adjusted to spec and carbs cleaned (carb dip or ultrasonic) with new O-rings as well as the whole intake being checked for leaks.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

yes, why not get it running first? No point making dreams of new seats and low bars if the motor and brakes are just lumps of scrap
      Side question: When I bought the bike, there were only T models on the market, I myself am a fan of the E model gas tank and actually bought one shortly after but soon found out the frame is different. I know my current frame isn't in the best condition - are there any differences in engine mounting between the E and T models?
      I think it very unlikely per 1981..I have T and E with GSX engines per 81(very similar) and find no differences in mounting.. You will find several engines swapped around in Twin thread. look for member "John Park"
      Easier maybe : It Has Been Done to mount an E-tank on a T frame...there's several threads somewhere in here ..I haven't done this swap but I'd expect the main hurdle to be cutting at the T's coil mounts...The single bolt attachment of the E tank wouldn't be too hard.

Comment

Working...
      X