The road so far, 1982 Gs650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The road so far, 1982 Gs650GL

Well, I figured I should post a small update on my progress so far. I bought this beauty on Easter sunday, I've been slowly working on it since.

I got the carbs completely cleaned, new o rings and stainless fasteners, same for the intake boots. Put a new tach cable on it, oiled the other cables, and I might just buy all new at some point here to be certain everything is fine. Changed the oil, put a new rear tire on, along with new brake pads. The PO told me the rear pads were not great, but I wasn't quite expecting the pads to be completely gone, and only the steel backing plates left. Anyway, I've got most everything how it should be now.

I still need to do a valve adjustment, and fit new stainless brake lines on the front and rear brakes. Hopefully I can get to both of those pretty quick here. It's running great though! I had it out for half an hour or so today, just around town some. Ran like a champ!

I really appreciate the vast amount of resources available here, they are incredibly helpful.

Brent

0.jpg

I might as well update this thread with some progress. So, I thought I had gotten the bike to a decent point and started riding around. Took a country drive a few weeks back and it died on me 30 miles from home on a small country road. Called my wife and trailered it home from there. Anyway, ended up that my stator was shot. It was only outputting 20v at 5k rpm.

So, this weekend I finally had everything lined up. I got the new Caltric stator for $47 shipped, and I lucked out with a genuine used shindengen sh775 for $25 shipped on ebay. Yes I know there are fakes, I vetted this one. Anyway, I had time to sort through the wiring and everything this weekend. I'm quite good with mechanical things, but my electrical skill is lacking, so I was quite proud of myself. I managed to get the stator installed and buttoned up. Tested it and verified I was getting proper voltage. Just as I got the sh775 bolted in place it started raining, and I pushed the project into the garage for the night. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can finish up a few connections, and do some testing to verify that I didn't screw anything up.

I also finally have the valve cover gasket, so I plan to do a valve adjustment soon. I also have a stainless brake line and rebuild kit for my rear brakes sitting on the work bench. My rear caliper is leaking somewhere. If I press the pedal hard enough I can hear a hiss and drops of brake fluid come out. Sometime here I'll get the time to finish off those tasks.

Brent

Comment

"Yes I know there are fakes, I vetted this one". Good deal , did you see the sh-775 marking on it? Of course you did! I just scooped a pitiful looking unit for $16 shipped - i had to rescue it.

Progress is good, get to those valves- you might be the first guy in there in 30 years. Carefully and thoroughly clean old cover gasket off, and don't use any goop. Hopefully you got an OEM gasket with right # of bolt holes.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Hopefully you got an OEM gasket with right # of bolt holes.
        I have had pretty good luck with aftermarket gaskets, but the number of bolt holes is CRITICAL.

Some time in the middle of the '82 production, they changed from 16 to 17 bolts on the valve cover.
        There is an engine number listed where they made the change, but it's also easy to spot the extra bolt at front center.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I picked up 5 vesrah? cam cover gaskets a year ago. They are identical - thickness, surface finish on both sides- to the suzuki one that I still had.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hm....I didn't know about the bolt hole issue. I already bought a Suzuki NOS gasket. I'll have to check on that when I get home later. Everything else is progressing pretty well though. I hope to check valve clearance in the next few days here if I can find time. I seem to always be short of time lately, with young kids running around and all. Thanks guys

Comment

Well guys, I lucked out! I ordered the valve cover gasket just based on the model and year. Looks like I have a 17 bolt valve cover, and that's exactly what I had ordered.
              I took it for a short ride today to try the electrical system.

Will adjusting the valves smooth the engine out some? It's a bit buzzy at the moment. I also had a minute where I shifted into first an let the clutch out, and it got really rattly, and acted like it only partially engaged. I finished pulling in the gas sation and stopped. Shut it off and stated up again, shifted into 1st, and no more rattle. Any ideas?

Comment

So, further progress with my bike! I completed the stator and R/R upgrade about a month ago. I swapped the shims out with the help of the shim club (it's awesome!), and got things cleaned up and bolted back together. While I was waiting on the new shims, I rebuilt my rear caliper and master cylinder, and installed an Apex SS brake line. I got that fully bled and bedded with the new brake shoes finally the other night. Last night I quick swapped out the front brake pads, and I'm planning on bleeding the front brakes sometime this evening yet.

I'm thinking over the winter I will upgrade the front brake line to SS braided line and rebuild that master cylinder and caliper as well. Other than that, I'm getting it in pretty good riding shape. I see a fork rebuild in the next year or so, and upgrading the lights to LED on this thing. Probably will need a new front tire next year. For now though, I think I have her in good shape to just ride for what is left of the summer. I love having this forum to check for answers to all the questions I have about my bike. Thanks you guys

Brent

Comment

Working...
                X