Clear All

I got 2 complete pairs when I made my setup,

1 was a trade for a 24 of Canadian,
    2nd set for $80
    machine work cost $200,
    0-rings, bowl gaskets, $100
    case of 80 jets, $50

Comment

28's would be better than the stock 26's, just make sure their not off a kz, air jets are fixed and a couple of other minor things as well

Comment

your gonna wanna also upgrade your stock ignition to a dyna electronic and coils

Comment

I'll have to keep an eye out for them then! Machine work isn't an issue, I can do that all at work.

What was your setup?

Comment

Send me a pm

Comment

A friend of mine has an entire bandit 1200 front end and rear end for sale including rims, brakes, everything. I've heard alot of these parts can be made to work on the 750 is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialK View Post
                A friend of mine has an entire bandit 1200 front end and rear end for sale including rims, brakes, everything. I've heard alot of these parts can be made to work on the 750 is this true?
                The front end is relatively easy as it is more or less just a bearing swap. The rear is more involved as the Bandit rear rim will be too wide for the GS swingarm. If you got the Bandit swingarm, you could use that but you'd need to weld on shock mounts and machine / spacer the pivot. Then adjust the chain line.

All do-able but depends on what you can do / how much you want to modify / spend.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Front end is not a bearing swap, that is if the 750 stem is the same as the 1000 stem. The Bandit stem will not work on the 1000 that I can tell you.

I had to press out the Bandit stem, build up the 1000 stem with weld then machine it down and press into the Bandit lower.

However, it is way worth it with the modern wheels, brakes and suspension.

For the rear you need the GS1100 swingarm, modify the rear sprocket mount, narrow it some. Do a 530 chain conversion with an offset front sprocket. You will need to have some of the spacers modified or new ones manufactured.

good luck
                  Last edited by Fjbj40; 08-10-2017, 09:02 PM.
                  1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                  1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input! I probably won't be tackling this swap for a while, but I have a spare frame I can mock up both the front and rear end too which will be convenient. The machine work shouldn't be a problem,I have access to all the necessary tools. I'll post pictures when I pick the pieces up

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                      Front end is not a bearing swap, that is if the 750 stem is the same as the 1000 stem. The Bandit stem will not work on the 1000 that I can tell you.

I had to press out the Bandit stem, build up the 1000 stem with weld then machine it down and press into the Bandit lower.

However, it is way worth it with the modern wheels, brakes and suspension.

For the rear you need the GS1100 swingarm, modify the rear sprocket mount, narrow it some. Do a 530 chain conversion with an offset front sprocket. You will need to have some of the spacers modified or new ones manufactured.

good luck
                      OK - the front end is not so much a bearing swap as finding the right bearing to use. All Balls Racing has a conversion calculator, but the GS has a 48mm OD bottom bearing whilst the Bandit bottom bearing is 55mm. So, you need a 30 x 48 bearing to use the Bandit stem in the GS neck for the bottom. With the top you can use the GS bearing as it has the same ID as the Bandit (25mm).
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                        OK - the front end is not so much a bearing swap as finding the right bearing to use. All Balls Racing has a conversion calculator, but the GS has a 48mm OD bottom bearing whilst the Bandit bottom bearing is 55mm. So, you need a 30 x 48 bearing to use the Bandit stem in the GS neck for the bottom. With the top you can use the GS bearing as it has the same ID as the Bandit (25mm).
                        I found my bearings on eBay for way cheaper and the same sizes that I needed. 30x55x17 bottom and 25x47x12 top.

Comment

Hey guys, went to the drag strip last night with some friends. The gs750 performed great, best time was 12.7 @ 107mph. Need some advice here, I feel in the upper gears (4 & 5) that it should be pulling harder near redline. I'm running stock vm26 carbs jetting:
                          112.5 main
                          needle clip lowered 1 notch
                          15 pilots
                          1 turn out on fuel screw
                          1.5 air screw

from 6000rpm to 7500 it absolutely hauls but the power tapers off instead of building further like you'd expect with this engine build. My cams might not be degreed in correctly also so that is a possibility. A friend of mine is letting me borrow some VM28's to see if there is an improvement up top.

check out the video
                          Just finished this project, 844cc yoshi topend, yoshi cams, ported & polished head, stiffer valves springs w/hardened retainers, yoshi 4-1 exhaust. Stock car...

Comment

Cool video!
                            1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
                            2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Is that the $20.00 run-what-you-brung Friday night at Cayuga?
                              I remember doing that years ago and some times you could get 10 runs in.
                              Excellent, safe and fun.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                                Is that the $20.00 run-what-you-brung Friday night at Cayuga?
                                I remember doing that years ago and some times you could get 10 runs in.
                                Excellent, safe and fun.
                                Yup that's the spot! It's a fantastic time and pretty well organized

Comment

Working...
                                X