No announcement yet.

78 GS750 Yoshimura Resto-mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice looking! I envy that Yoshimura exhaust so badly!
    Did you notice on the exhaust hanger if it has GS 750 stamped into it? Or GS 100? It hangs a little low below the oil pan, and I was wondering if it was a GS1000 exhaust like the one that I have. Yours is upswept substantially more though, mine exits slightly higher than stock and more straight back. I opted to save it for a GS1000 engine in the Rickman CR race chassis build that I have stored away for the future after several other projects get done.

Was that cylinder head ported? Have you measured the intake ports with the carburetor boots off of the head? If you put bigger carbs on it, it's not going to do a whole lot more unless the head was opened up to the size of the carbs. Smoothbore carbs would be an upgrade regardless, however, but going up in size wouldn't do a whole lot. I can't remember what the stock opening size is on the small port heads, I will have to measure one in the basement later out of curiosity.

How's the weather up there? Good riding season yet? 75 degrees Fahrenheit today! Some friends were camping at the dirt bike trails south of here all weekend, and said it rained all day yesterday, and trails were a muddy mess, so no dirt biking today, taking the GS out for an all-day ride! First one of that kind this season!
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post

Very nice looking! I envy that Yoshimura exhaust so badly!
      Did you notice on the exhaust hanger if it has GS 750 stamped into it? Or GS 100? It hangs a little low below the oil pan, and I was wondering if it was a GS1000 exhaust like the one that I have. Yours is upswept substantially more though, mine exits slightly higher than stock and more straight back. I opted to save it for a GS1000 engine in the Rickman CR race chassis build that I have stored away for the future after several other projects get done.

Was that cylinder head ported? Have you measured the intake ports with the carburetor boots off of the head? If you put bigger carbs on it, it's not going to do a whole lot more unless the head was opened up to the size of the carbs. Smoothbore carbs would be an upgrade regardless, however, but going up in size wouldn't do a whole lot. I can't remember what the stock opening size is on the small port heads, I will have to measure one in the basement later out of curiosity.

How's the weather up there? Good riding season yet? 75 degrees Fahrenheit today! Some friends were camping at the dirt bike trails south of here all weekend, and said it rained all day yesterday, and trails were a muddy mess, so no dirt biking today, taking the GS out for an all-day ride! First one of that kind this season!
      I cannot see any stamping on the exhaust unfortunately.

Yes the cylinder head was ported and exhaust ports were polished.

I actually recently acquired a set of smoothbores that absolutely transformed how this bike runs. Terrifyingly quick now and does this yoshi 844c engine justice.

Comment

Working...
      X