Model Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model Identification

Hoping someone can help me out. Came into possession of a GS750 and I'm trying desperately to figure out the exact model and year.

Frame # GS750E-706037
    Engine # GS750-81328

I scoured the internet and found a ton of info but nothing seemed to match up exactly with my #'s. Closest thing I could find was one chart that makes it a 79' L model. But that didn't exactly match up with other charts I found. Maybe I've got a mismatched engine/frame? If anyone has a quick reference on hand and could help me out I would be very appreciative.

Welcome to GSR.

First comment is that the engine numbers are engine serial numbers. And the frame numbers are frame serial numbers that are incorporttind into the VIN (in what ever year zuki started using the VIN convention). And no, the engine numbers are not at all matching the frame numbers.

Other piece of info relative to this, maybe on other side of the stering neck from the fame number, there was a foil tag with more info such as full model number that will include a year code, and a month and year manufacture date. Look for that.

Other thing: Post pic. Folks her Can easy determine L from non L. Can easy determine 80-after from 79-prior.

But the fact the frame number has 750E, makes me think it is an E not an L.
    And if is a 79, would not be an L anyway.
    Check the model chart back on GSR homepage.

Are some other GSR members in AZ.
    (I know, big state.)

Last edited by Redman; 07-05-2017, 01:53 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Model Chart

Well, I see there was a 79 750L. I did not think there were any Ls untill 1980 (which is true for 850s).

If your is an L it will have the leading axil front forks, more of a smaller teardrop shaped tank, more of big stepped seat and pull-back-buckhorn bars (that most folks change out).

But, again the 750E in frame makes me thing E.

GS 750 E 1979
      Overall Length: 2 225 mm (87.6 in)
      Overall Width: 870 mm. (34.3 in.)
      Overall Height: 1 170mm (46.1 in)
      Wheelbase: 1 490 mm (58.7 in)
      Grdound Clearance: 150 mm (5.9 in)
      Dry Weight: 223 kg (492 lbs)
      Engine type: Air-cooled 748 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 72 hp/ 8,500 rpm, 60 Nm/ 7,000 rpm.

Click on the image for larger format.
      Here's more Suzuki GS750E info.

(Paint scheme here is eurpoean, but look at the front forks, the tank, and the tail section)
      Last edited by Redman; 07-05-2017, 02:02 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It's definitely a 79' or prior and unfortunately the foil tag is all but gone and completely unreadable. My immediate thought was that it was in fact an E model because of the E in the frame # but that didn't seem to ad up after seeing so many model charts. Many of the charts and OEM parts distributors that I've checked do list a 79' L model as an option. Hope the picture helps.

IMG_0289.jpg

Comment

Smaller tank, inline axles.

Comment

Looks like an "E" that has had a different tank, handlebars and seat padding added to it. It has the mag wheels and dual disc brakes in front.
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by The Falconer View Post
              Hoping someone can help me out. Came into possession of a GS750 and I'm trying desperately to figure out the exact model and year.

Frame # GS750E-706037
              Engine # GS750-81328
              The E throws me off, too but i would still say it's an L : the L is the only one using a number in the 700K range.

1977 GS750B : chassisnr. 10001
              1978 GS750C : chassisnr. 32604
              1978 GS750E : chassisnr. 10019
              1979 GS750E : chassisnr. 29475
              1979 GS750N : chassisnr. 44361
              1979 GS750L : chassisnr. 700016 - engine number 74016
              1980 GS750E : chassisnr. 500030
              1980 GS750L : chassisnr. 700016 - engine number 100079
              1981 Suzuki switched to chassisnumbers starting with JS1.

Based on the engine nr. my best bet is it is an 1979 GS750L.

Last edited by Rijko; 07-05-2017, 05:49 PM.
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Rijko, I came to my conclusion for the same reason. The L is the only model where the #'s are close, but the E still throws me off. On a side note, what's the deal with all the hate on L models? And are all the 77-79 gas tanks capatable with all the models? I'd like to switch to a tank similar to that shown on the E model that Redman posted a picture of.

Comment

Most of the "hate" on the Ls is just personal preference that is expressed. Some don't like the extra chrome. Some don't like the stepped seat. Most don't like the smaller fuel tank. Almost ALL don't like the taller (very uncomfortable) handlebars. Then there are the details, like a smaller, unique-sized headlight, shorter mufflers that sound 'funny' and other things. As far as handling, all the dimensions are the same: rake, trail, and wheelbase are all virtually the same, so the bike should handle the same. The difficulty in re-positioning yourself in the saddle and the awkward angle of grabbing the bars is what makes the handling 'different'.

No, the tanks are not all the same. There were no Ls before 1979. The front mounts for the tank were different. Yours appear to be farther back, so you are pretty much relegated to an L tank, unless you re-position the mounts. If you DO decide to move the mounts, be aware that the fork triples were different on the L models, too. They had a straighter angle when viewed from the top. From one fork, through the steering stem, to the other fork was much straighter on the L models to pull the fork tubes back. The front axle did not move to a position in front of the forks, the forks got pulled back, so the axle ended up in front of them. With the fork tubes farther back, they would hit a full-size guel tank, so they got a smaller tank that was mounted farther back. Your fork tubes are already straight, but that likely just pulled the wheel back, giving you a shorter wheelbase, but longer trail. It might steer a bit quicker, due to the shorter wheelbase (about an inch), but the increased trail would make it harder to turn, sort of like turning off the power steering. To properly install a larger tank on an L, you need to change the fork triples, fork tubes, fender and calipers. All of them had mounts that were unique to the L.

Actually, the easiest way to put a larger tank on there is to sell that bike and get one with a bigger tank.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, that's some good info. Looks like I'm stuck with small tank.

Comment

Notice on that frame/engine number chart, for the 79, the 750s that several models of 750 list the same engine number..... the same engine could go in multiple models... so the engine number doesnt entirely tell you what model of bike. Look at the frame numbers.
                      The frame number, based on that chart, would seem to be an L, or more specifically LN, the N being the year code for 79.
                      Hey, do you have a title for the bike, does that list a 750LN or 750E in the VIN?

In your photo:
                      The VM carbs, the solid disc and the kick start indicate is a 79 (or 78).
                      THe axle at bottom center of forks say is NOT an L, but the front end could have been changed out.
                      The seat looks like a cut down L seat, and the tank looks L. Kinda hard to swap an L tank for another.
                      THe bars are definatly not stock L bars, but are not stock E bars or not stock any GS bars, are aftermarket short-flat-something-or-other bars.

So weither it/was an L or an E, doesnt really mater matter for 79 750 engine parts, since they were both the 2 valve per cyclinder engine.
                      (Later years and some models the L would have different engine than E, but for 79 were the same engine, based on the chart... again, I did not know there were Ls in 79 untill last night.)

Last edited by Redman; 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Ls were meant to look cool in the showroom, not meant to ride any distance .... so depending on what you want.....

The most of the L has been modded out of Falconer's bike in the picture, and that is the handle bars.

Comment

No help from the title as it didn't have one. I've resigned to the fact that it is probably an L model that has had some mods done. Thinking about doing a brat restoration. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks all for the info.

Comment

It's an E not an L.
                            It has an L seat and tank - neither of which fit particularly well..

The forward mounts for the E tank are clearly visible in your photo - the rubbers are missing.
                            Get yourself an E tank and seat and you're on your way....
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Where can I find more information about the German made Suzuki GS850 G.

The GS850 G I have is probably from 1981.
                              There is a sticker mentioning: E II I OR-01310.01
                              The frame number # GS850D130680

Looking forward to hear from you guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X