Honda guy with a Suzuki: GS550 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda guy with a Suzuki: GS550 project

Hello all....new member here. But not new to vintage bikes. I've built a bunch of XS650's and, more recently, Honda CB550's, plus a random smattering of Kawasaki, BMW, etc. Everything from Honda singles (CT70 and S90) to dual plugged AirHead BMW's ('84 R100).

I currently have a '73 CB500/550 in the garage, an '85 VF500F, an '84 VT500 Ascot, a CT90, CT70 (project with Piranha 140), a '65 S90, and now this.... a Suzuki GS550.

The build date looks to be 11/79. It's a GS550E. Is there a place I can cross check the VIN? When I Google images of an '80, I see slight differences. This looks more like the pics of a '79.

It has 36K miles on it, but the engine turns over with really strong compression (by hand) and the carbs are free. It needs a bit of everything, but I've started with less. And, for $100, I couldn't pass it up.
    I know I need side covers, and the seat pan is pretty thin. I'll go through the carbs (or rather, have Rick at OldSkool Carbs do it, since he's my neighbor and does a much more thorough job than I can do), and then all the normal "sitting bike" stuff; valves, fluids, fork seals, etc. Neither of the brakes work and there is some sort of electrical problem, which is why it was parked years ago.
    The guy I got it from was told, by the guy HE got it from, that it would run but cut off. The most recent guy hooked up a jump box and it powers up (lights, etc.) but didn't turn over. The wiring is a mess...lots of stuff unplugged...and they opened up the RH control while messing with it. I have all the parts. I think.

The tank is solid with one quarter size ding. Pretty clean inside. I'll give it "The Works" or Evaporust treatment.

Comment

And since everyone likes pics, here's an "as found" pic. In the back room of a dusty shop. Had to move a pile of junk to get it out.
      Does anyone recognize the exhaust? I figure it's probably a MAC, but the collector underneath seems huge and it has a sweep to it that sort of reminds me of a Kerker I had on a CB550 once.

Comment

At this point, I'm looking for any good advice on GS specific stuff, sources for parts, a pair of side covers and maybe a seat/pan.
        But generally, just guidance on a new-to-me model.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Scott.
          Everything you will need for sorting out problems with your bike can be found here.
          Carb cleaning, wiring diagrams repair manuals, the works.

The S bend near the collectors makes it a Kerker, imho.
          A look at the baffle might help.

I have an S90 as well. How about a pic.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That bike is a 1980 GS550E.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              That bike is a 1980 GS550E.
              It was listed as an '80.
              Google images show the red bikes with both red and black side covers. Are either correct?

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                The S bend near the collectors makes it a Kerker, imho.
                A look at the baffle might help.

I have an S90 as well. How about a pic.
                I hope it is a Kerker! I'll get more pics tomorrow when I get it out of the truck. It was dark when I got home.

The S90 is more of a preservation than a restoration. Rode HARD and put away wet sometime around '73 or '74. Here's a pic of it on the work bench about a week before the first fire up in 40-something years. I rode it for the first time about a week ago.

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

11/79 mfg date will be an 80 model.

The CV carbs (can tell by the diaphram on top) indicate it is an 80, not 79 that would have VM carbs.

Last edited by Redman; 12-18-2017, 11:19 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to Suzuki land.

Once you get the GS550 dialled in you will want to sell your Hondas
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                      Welcome to Suzuki land.

Maybe... but that VF500 is sweeeeet. And the Ascot handles like it loses 200 lbs. once it's moving.

I'm definitely a middle-weight guy when it comes to bikes. Something around 400 lbs. and 500-550cc seems to fit me and my riding habits and skills just right.
                      I had a ZRX1100 once and it was amazing. I never saw redline on it! Second gear power wheelies without even trying. And I just sold a 2012 Triumph Tiger Xc. That Triumph triple is one awesome engine. Power and torque for days without even trying. But I took it to the Tail of the Dragon this year and simply wasn't comfortable on it. Too big, too tall, and too powerful.
                      Give me a middle weight and I can ride them harder and with much more confidence!

I'm beginning to see that parts for the Hondas are a little easier to come by. Any go-to vendors for the Suzuki?

Comment

A before and after of my '73 CB500.
                        Now has a 550 engine, ported and polished head, 1.00mm oversized intake valves, CB650 cam and custom exhaust. Lester mags on a '00 R6 front end, iKon shocks, 400F pegs and bars, and lots of other subtle touches.

Comment

And with it's baby brother, the Interceptor.

And the Ascot. Not the most powerful bike in the world, but smooth power and possibly the most fun to ride of the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                            Welcome to Suzuki land.

I hear Honda makes a good snowblower...
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
                              It was listed as an '80.
                              Google images show the red bikes with both red and black side covers. Are either correct?
                              That red paint is not factory. Side covers are supposed to be painted tank/tail color and have pinstriping. You can look up this sort of detail in the parts fishe at partzilla or alpha sports.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X