Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS650 getting ready to look over motor and would like ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 getting ready to look over motor and would like ideas...

As the title states, I am getting ready to go through the motor.Mileage unknown.
    Bought off craigslist. Got running... ehhhh... kinda. The intake boots leaked, the carbs are/were hammered, broken and will be replaced.
    Any who... The engine has compression of 120#(1), 110#(2,3,4), so I will be pulling head and re-ringing, as well as cleaning up the cylinder walls.
    Cylinder 2 and 4 had black spark plugs, 4 was oily black. I plan on replacing the valve seals, but I am having a hard time finding them.

Looking for any ideas or things to look for from those that have been down this road; taking care of the top end. Feel free to link me to other posts. I have searched but looking to get into conversation also.

Added a pic of where I am up to know. Just a few more “fixes” to the seat, mounts on the tank and rear fender. The engine comes out, all welding finished up, cleaned up and painted. Motor gone through and back in, then electrical.
    Attached Files

If you don't really know how well it runs, I would hold off on the disassembly.

The carbs likely don't need to be replaced, they just need to be rebuilt. The process is not hard, but requires some equipment and chemicals and lots of attention to detail. If you don't feel iike doing it yourself, there are a few of us that will do it for you.

The compression numbers are not bad, especially if they are cold numbers. There is a good chance that a simple valve adjustment will raise the numbers a bit, too.

With properly-adjusted valves, clean carbs and decent electrical power to the coils, you shouldn't have to do much more than give the starter button a stern look and the engine will be running. Once you have it running and on the road, run it, and run it HARD, for several hundred miles to make sure the rings are free and sealing well. After that, evaluate the oil consumption to see if you need to change the valve seals. Note that if you want to change the valve seals, you will have to pull the head. When you pull the head, you WILL disturb the base gasket, meaning that you may as well get a complet upper-end gasket kit.

And, since you asked for information, let me give you the keys to the library. Click HERE to visit the library, which is also referred to as "BassCliff's site". There, you will be able to download a manual for your bike, as well as see tutorials for virtually anything you want to do to the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I appreciate the optimism.... but when I say my carbs are hammered... I mean hammered....Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 10.35.13 PM.jpg

The main reason I am going down to the rings, is that the head will already be coming off and make it easy to get to the rings, wouldn't be but another few hrs worth of work.

Found MechMessiah’s thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=head, pretty good read. Similar to what I am expecting to go down to.

Comment

You say you're having a hard time finding valve seals? They are still available from you local dealer.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I would get a full engine rebuild gasket kit. That way you got everything youll need and you can pop open the clutch cavity to see that the hub nut is secure etc etc. whatever isnt used can be put on the shelf for the future. The full kit will also have the orings for the bottom side of the liners.

What year is it???
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-22-2017, 08:51 AM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            I would get a full engine rebuild gasket kit. That way you got everything youll need and you can pop open the clutch cavity to see that the hub nut is secure etc etc. whatever isnt used can be put on the shelf for the future. The full kit will also have the orings for the bottom side of the liners.

What year is it???
            ...a little trick you may or may not know about. Suzuki offered a complete engine gasket kit that cost a lot less than buying each gasket and o-ring individually. It's on the "optional" fiche, sometimes under accessories>optional. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/1982/gs650g/optional

#8 in the link above.

That's for an 82 GS650G, but find the part# for your year/model and search the part# on ebay. NOS complete sets are still floating around.

Some on this site have had luck with Athena or Vesrah. Others will tell you OEM, and avoid those other brands at all costs. I fall into the second group.

I bought an Athena complete engine gasket kit, but only needed the valve cover gasket at the time. It leaked after a week, and when I took the cover back off the gasket was mush. Bought OEM, and no issues. That was enough for me to spend a bit extra every time to not have to do the job twice.
            sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Ive used 3 or 4 Veshra kits and have had no issues. Athena has a very very bad track record here and on other sites as well.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Ive used 3 or 4 Veshra kits and have had no issues. Athena has a very very bad track record here and on other sites as well.
                My findings, as well.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

You say you're having a hard time finding valve seals? They are still available from you local dealer.
                  Yeahhh... I have really gotten out of the habit of going to Dealer. Probably should look back into that as I am seeing a lot of posters having issues with “eBay” parts for this bike; as to motor parts, anyway.

I would get a full engine rebuild gasket kit....
                  Good idea. Wasn’t really planning on getting into tranny. Was crossing fingers that was/is good to go. Will be changing to Syn or Blend at least.
                  What year is it???
                  81’ GS650GLX. (Thanks Steve)

Thanks Sam 78GS750 for the personal experience input.

Comment

Originally posted by rvaughnp View Post
                    Wasn’t really planning on getting into tranny.
                    Actually, you can get all the covers and everything off the engine that requires a gasket without accessing the transmission.

There is no need to split the cases to access the transmission, but the full gasket kit gets you the clutch cover, stator cover, ignition cover and oil pan gaskets.

You have a picture of the left side? Just curious how you handled the shaft drive and the hardtail.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

No luck at all finding a gasket set, here in the states anyway. Found a few across the pond. Not wanting to wait a month to get these in.
                      Not an option anymore.

Willing to go with Veshra, too early in the morning to call dealers. Anyone have a hyperlink they could provide?
                      Thanks,

Comment

You have a picture of the left side? Just curious how you handled the shaft drive and the hardtail.
                        missed this one...

Just a pic of the cover and shaft, for now.
                        shaft.jpg
                        Still have some cleaning up to do. Will also maintain the rubber boot. Unless I cal figure out a way to make a “slip on” that would attach to the case.

Comment

Working...
                        X