No announcement yet.

1983 GS850G Revival (prep and Stage 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew I could count on some honesty from the guys on this forum . In all seriousness, I fully expected some negative feedback from some. This isn't my first rebuild, and I'm going a different direction than I have in the past to make something unique and fun to ride. I'm happy with the work so far and enjoying it every step of the way.

Stage 1 was taking a non-running bike and get it running, make it safe, pass an inspection, with some minor cosmetic changes along the way. Stage 2 will commence shortly, like it or not

Comment

I don't understand putting all that work into a bike and paying so much attention to detail cosmetically to make it look like a beater. It's like the people who pay ridiculous amounts if money for brand new 'distressed' furniture, when they could have gotten that same look by spending 5 bucks on craigslist or at a flea market. Same thing as paying $300 for a pair of ripped jeans to look like I did when I was a kid and we were too poor to buy new clothes.
      sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

It's a lot easier to make something look like crap than it is to make it look nice... Rust? I hate rust.
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The GSR is all about aesthetics. Build her anyway you like!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I understand not liking rust or more importantly the effects of rust. I have spent a huge amount of money and time getting rid of it. I think properly applied the distressed (rust) look can look good. I think it looks good on your bike. I like restoring something from the past and enjoy seeing the results of hard work. Let's face it, you could probably save time and money buying a "new" bike, but it wouldn't have the sentimental value or bring back the memories. Make it look the way you want, not how someone on the other end of the internet thinks it should look.

Comment

I understand the rust look, and the patina look. I like that look, when its natural. Kinda like the bike earned it. Look at the tins busa1300 removed from the skunk left for dead. Thats a great natural patina, but it doesnt match the style of the bike. Had it been an L or T thats a different story. Imo
              I build Pipers

Comment

Now, if you go on deciding to cut it shorter let me get that seat. Lol
                I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  It's a lot easier to make something look like crap than it is to make it look nice... Rust? I hate rust.
                  On the contrary... Granted some truly just look like crap, but a lot of people spend a lot of time and effort to artificially create patina or aged/worn conditions. It's kind of an art form in and of itself to make it look natural. Take a close look at the bike the OP said was his inspiration, Darryl's bike from The Walking Dead. Look at the forks, the bars, the engine, etc. You can tell a lot of effort went into building an awesome bike, and then a ton more effort went into making it look like it had been through the zombie apocalypse and make it look natural. I get that, it's a tv show prop at the end of the day.

I appreciate the effort and talent it takes. I just don't appreciate the end result... Buying brand new distressed furniture is stupid to me, buying already ripped or patched jeans is stupid to me, and building a car or bike where you spend a ton of time and effort making it look awesome and then spend a ton more time and effort to f*&ck it up is pointless.

If you want the aged/weathered look just buy a beater, make it mechanically sound and roadworthy, and leave the cosmetics as is. Done. In the OPs case, this was his dad's bike...but like Brandon said. He got rid of the natural patina just to give it a fake patina...
                  sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Do whatever makes you happy... At the end of the day, I'm just some random guy on the internet..

...but dude - you took a rusty fender, cleaned the rust off of it, and then painted so it would look rusty because you couldn't strip the chrome off so it would actually rust.
                    sigpic

Comment

Do this with it...

Suzuki-GS550-Scrambler-Cafe-Racer-Brat-760x410 by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

With street tires though
                      I build Pipers

Comment

I had just finished reading your introduction in the other thread where you said you were going to restore as close to factory as you could, then I come over here and see this. What the what? In the end, it's your bike and you need to make yourself happy regardless of what anybody else thinks. Good luck.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but upon seeing the milk come out of the brake calipers, You did a ear down all the brake components and inspect them for ANY signs of pitting, clean he grooves the piston seals go in, and put on new dust boots?? Also break down and clean the master cylinders???
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If this guy pops back in, my offer still stands. Lemme buy that seat!
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                            X