1980 GS1100L meets a 2007 Velorex Sidecar: A Love Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100L meets a 2007 Velorex Sidecar: A Love Story

I picked up a Velorex sidecar back in November with the intention of mounting it to my 2006 V-Strom 650. Unfortunately, it was going to cost 1300 just for the subframe to make it work, and the guy that makes the subframe was trying to sell me a whole bunch more modifications to make it work with the Velorex. He backed up the need for these modifications by showing me how some dumb dumb had attached one of his Velorex mounts to the swingarm of his Sportster. Having been born and raised in the "Show Me" state, I could smell the BS from a good ways off.

Scratch that.

I picked up a 1980 GS1100L in pretty good shape to mount the sidecar to, saving the Strom for daily driver and long distance duty.

First things first, the front brakes start hanging up after I ride her for any distance at all. Considering it probably still has the stock, nearly 40 year old brake lines, I decided to start there. Nessism talked me into going with Earl's braided steel lines, and making them myself. Back brake is great! Front wont prime. Poop. So, I'm waiting on a master cylinder.

Also on the wait list is a throttle cable and clutch cable to fit the Bikemaster Daytona bars I fitted.

In the meantime, I started tackling getting these two cozy with one another. I'm going to have to go to welder to get an attachment point fabbed up for the rear upper mount. The one I had picked out is too far forward, and doesn't provide the triangle shape that I need for good rigidity.

Also on the list is some heavy duty springs. I'm open to reccomendations.

More to follow...

20180413_162327.jpg
Working...
X