Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L Custom

Hi all

I'm just starting a rebuild of of a1986 GS450L. It's been parked up for the last 17. The engine runs allbeit a bit rough.
    I'm planning on doing a Hipster/Scrambler. Even though the bike looks complete a lot the body work and chrome are shot. I'm going to be asking a lot of questions in the near future my first one is where do people move the electrics to?

PB
    IMG_0969.jpg

This Stuff
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2018, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Finding where to hide all that stuff is part of the fun! On my GS450, I relocated a lot of it to a tray under the seat. On my (pretty much stock) GS750, I've found little nooks and cranny's to relocate things like the signal flasher and install a new R/R.

If you're drastically changing the bike, you'll probably be doing a from scratch wiring harness anyway so can move things around how you like. Under the tank and in the headlight bucket are always options. I changed the tank mounting points on my GS450 so there's a little extra room between the frame and the back of the tank to hide stuff.
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

The last two bikes I have restored have been Italian scooters and I did them back to original have you any pictures of the tray you made

Comment

This is from before my most recent tear down of the bike but you get the idea:

This one is more recent to give you an idea of the depth:

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

It’s not as scary as I thought

cheers

Comment

Keep in mind that most of the electronics do not like to get hot, so make sure there is some air flow across them.

My problem is sort of like yours, but in the other direction.

You are trying to remove stuff, or at least make it look like you did.

I am adding stuff to power my accessories and wondering how to accomodate the additions.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X