No announcement yet.

JohnnyL's 1980 GS550L Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well at least that ends the mystery and better to catch it now than later! I saw a bike at a show built for WD40 from a yam xs and got chance to talk to the builder.
    He said they use the M gadget on everything as it’s so much easier and cleaner than anything else they’ve used to install.

i did some research at the time, they look great, certainly not cheap though
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The new/used cases from eBay arrived yesterday. They appear to be in good condition. I cleaned them up today in degreaser and then soda blasted them. Wiped them down with brake cleaner and then masked them off for paint. I just finished painting them and now they're ready to bake in the oven at 200 for one hour.

I might actually tear down the motor tomorrow and rebuild it. Brian is coming over tomorrow evening for session two of wiring.

The tank and seat cowl are at Corby Concepts getting painted and should be done in two weeks or less.

This bike should/could be done in about two weeks.

Unfortunately, the guy I bought the bike from can't find the damn title. So...now I have to start the process of applying for a lost title. Not a big deal...just a pain in the butt. I just went through this process with my son's 69 Honda CL350 that we rebuilt. Still plenty of time till spring.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
      1980 Suzuki GS550L cafe project Link
      2019 Yamaha MT-09
      2016 Honda CBR650F(wife’s bike)
      2001 Honda CBR600F4i(Son's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        On the plus side, he'll be able to build a GS engine with one hand blindfolded when this is all said and done.
        I have never tried blindfolding a hand before.

Is that what gloves are for???

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Two weeks! What's your hurry? We all know what happens when YOU rush things. Here's a idea, take your time and do things right the first time. I have to give you one thing. It sure has been entertaining. Good luck 👍
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            Two weeks! What's your hurry? We all know what happens when YOU rush things. Here's a idea, take your time and do things right the first time. I have to give you one thing. It sure has been entertaining. Good luck 
            Well thanks for the one thing. My hurry is that I have too many things going on right now with work and everything else. I need to clear this project off of my plate. That’s the hurry. By the way...my screw up was not because I was in a hurry. It was just a plain old mistake.
            1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
            2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Loved reading about the re-build. It's only a screw up if you keep repeating the same mistake. Anything else can be filed under 'learning curve'
              1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Just thought of a full on positive through this "mistake". Your original cases were flawed to begin with. Now you don't have to worry about that low temp aluminum weld failing.
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                  Just thought of a full on positive through this "mistake". Your original cases were flawed to begin with. Now you don't have to worry about that low temp aluminum weld failing.

Makes me wonder if it might be covered under warranty.

edit: you did get the extended warranty, no?
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

When putting cases together, make sure that the mating surfaces meet without having to use bolts. Before you add all the bolts, make sure that the transmission shifts into all the gears. Dar

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                      I actually feel really good about that. That whole low temp aluminum weld fix was janky. These new cases have good oil filter cover studs. It might have been a blessing in disguise.

I'm feeling really good about this rebuild so far. All is going smoothly. Crank, gears and shift forks are all in. Bearings are all lined up properly with their pins. I'm about to join the case halves together.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                      2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Just discovered a problem with the gasket set I ordered. This gasket set is supposed to be for a 1980 GS550 but the base gasket doesn't even cover the holes. When I google search gs550 gasket set, the images all show the same gasket. I'm really scratching my head here.

Google search image:

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                        2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Well, that is indeed a strange one. Are you using OEM Suzuki gaskets? All the gurus here state that all others will leak. I haven't any experience with it, as I have only used OE gaskets. I would assume the Suzuki gaskets would not be off like that? What gasket did you use the first time around?
                          '83 GS 1100T
                          The Jet

sigpic
                          '95 GSXR 750w
                          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Looking back thru your build when you first torn down the engine the original gasket doesn't look like it covered the holes either

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by suzukigs1100ez View Post
                              Looking back thru your build when you first torn down the engine the original gasket doesn't look like it covered the holes either

Thanks! You are correct and it was indeed the correct gasket. Those holes are open to the air through the fins. No need for a gasket to cover those holes.

The engine is rebuilt(correct this time) and back in the bike. I took my time today(about six hours) and removed the engine from the bike, tore it down, rebuilt it and put it back in. Everything turns over nicely and I'm pretty happy. Just in time for Brian to come over tonight to help me with some more wiring.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                              2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

You have done more in a week than i would l do in a year.
                                Fantastic, Johnny.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X