JohnnyL's 1980 GS550L Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    The spots of blood on the brake rotor are a nice touch. Safety wire always seems to demand sacrifice...
    I thought the same thing. Helped a buddy wire a CB350 track bike a couple years ago and we were both leaking.

Fantastic attention to detail, Johnny.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Athough there is plenty of blood and sweat in/on this bike, I don't think that is blood on the rotor. I checked my extremities and didn't find one cut. LOL.

Bwringer saw that I was going to have a motorcycle shop mount my tires for me so he offered to have me over last night to help and show me how to mount them myself. Brian has an ingenious setup for making this an easier process. An old car wheel from a junkyard bolted to the workbench and some cutouts from a milk jug as rim protectors make wrestling the wheel on the floor a thing of the past. The photos below also show us checking the balance on the wheels/tires and both were pretty well balanced. Within 1/2 to 3/4 of an ounce. Thanks to Brian, I should have a roller today!

Unfortunately, work is going to get in the way this morning. I hate it when that happens. I will post pics of the bike with the wheels on as soon as I get there.

The safety wire on the front rotor looks much better after practicing on the rear.

Received the bar ends yesterday and stuck them on to see if I like them. I actually do kind of like them but I am going to explore the shotgun shell idea further. I just think that would be the cats pajamas.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
      1980 Suzuki GS550L cafe project Link
      2019 Yamaha MT-09
      2016 Honda CBR650F(wife’s bike)
      2001 Honda CBR600F4i(Son's bike)

Comment

For any gadget geeks...here are some links to the M-Unit Blue YouTube videos. This thing is pretty insane. I'm extremely excited to install this on the bike with the help of Bwringer. It arrives via UPS today.

MotoGadget App

MotoGadget overview on an actual motorcycle

MotoGadget Details

Wiring a MotoGadget
        1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
        2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of the bar ends. I will add, if you were to machine them down to the same diameter. That would make it aesthetically pleasing on the eyes. Of course, they wouldn't be red anymore. I would like to see the shotgun shell experimentation. I do really like how the black caps just make it disappear from the overall visual.
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
            Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of the bar ends. I will add, if you were to machine them down to the same diameter. That would make it aesthetically pleasing on the eyes. Of course, they wouldn't be red anymore. I would like to see the shotgun shell experimentation. I do really like how the black caps just make it disappear from the overall visual.
            Yeah...the different diameters is bothering me. My neighbor has a small engine lathe that I may turn something down that resembles a rocket point. If I decide to move away from the black caps, I want something that gives it a more badass look. That's either going to be shotgun shells or something pointy. If I go with the shotgun shells, of course I'm going to need some 9mm valve stem caps on the rims. Really...it's the least of my concerns at this point. I'm going to circle back to it later.

Last edited by JohnnyL; 01-14-2020, 11:33 AM.
            1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
            2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I like the idea of the 9mm valve stem caps, just be aware of galvanic corrosion that may occur between the valve stem and a cap of a different metal.

I have plenty of spent .40 S&W in brass. Aluminum & Steel,maybe. I generally chuck those. Let me know if you need, I can throw some in an envelope and mail to you.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 01-14-2020, 01:15 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                I like the idea of the 9mm valve stem caps, just be aware of galvanic corrosion that may occur between the valve stem and a cap of a different metal.

I have plenty of spent .40 S&W in brass. Aluminum & Steel,maybe. I generally chuck those. Let me know if you need, I can throw some in an envelope and mail to you.
                I appreciate that. The ones I posted are actually lined with plastic. I have them on my wife's MINI Countryman. I too have plenty of spent 9mm, .44 cal and 5.56. I'm sure I could make something work but the ones on Amazon are cheap. I always put anti-cease on my valve stems when using aluminum caps.
                1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Johnny, don't let bwringer know that I told you this, but you are one lucky guy to have him living so close to you. He really knows his way around the shop and bikes in general.
                  P.S. tell him to stop losing so much weight. In the pic of him mounting your tires, it looks like his arse has dissappeared.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyL View Post
                    I appreciate that. The ones I posted are actually lined with plastic. I have them on my wife's MINI Countryman. I too have plenty of spent 9mm, .44 cal and 5.56. I'm sure I could make something work but the ones on Amazon are cheap. I always put anti-cease on my valve stems when using aluminum caps.
                    Funny, I first heard about the galvanic corrosion thing then I was researching stem caps on the North American Motoring Forum for, what else, my MINI Countryman. Go figure.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

is it too late to radius the triple top clamp? the harsh angles set against an otherwise soft bacground is jarring
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        is it too late to radius the triple top clamp? the harsh angles set against an otherwise soft bacground is jarring
                        It'd be easier for me to just cut a new one. I've actually thought about cutting a new one that's not so blocky. I was actually more concerned with everything lining up than the design. Now that I know everything lines up, I think I am going to cut a new design.
                        1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                        2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I officially have a roller. The sun finally came out today so I rolled it outside to get some pics. Ignore the gas tank. That's an old one that I'm not using. The good tank is currently at the bodyshop being prepped for paint before it goes to Corby Concepts. Still waiting on a headlight bracket from Z1 so I can't mount the headlight.

The M-Unit arrived today! Pretty excited about that. I'm hoping Brian and I can get together this weekend and wire this thing up!

Anyway...here's some pics of the roller.

And to get an idea of what it looks like with an actual person on it.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                          2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Pretty cool roller you got there!

I could ride a bike like that...now. Last year I was still trying to bend my knees to 140 degrees...had both my knees replaced in 2018 and can bend them both to 142 degrees!

Thanks for the thread with pics and story.

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                              Johnny, don't let bwringer know that I told you this, but you are one lucky guy to have him living so close to you. He really knows his way around the shop and bikes in general.
                              P.S. tell him to stop losing so much weight. In the pic of him mounting your tires, it looks like his arse has dissappeared.
                              I realized that the first time I talked to him on the phone. I am VERY lucky to have him right down the road from me and I consider my self VERY lucky that he's willing to help me.

LOL...I'll tell him to stop losing so much weight but I have a feeling he's going to read your comment.
                              1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                              2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

nah, he hardly ever gets on here.
                                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X