Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
    'Unpimp my ride'...
    Never heard of that show (podcast?) before, but I like it already. I hate these customizers who think they're going to improve upon a '68 Corvette or Camaro.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'll find one, no huge rush. In the words of James May from 'Unpimp my ride', it's "casual"

I've always gotten a kick out of the Brits!

Thanks for sharing.

Your bike takes beautiful pics by the way...

I said, "Beautiful" out loud just now and my wife thought I was talking to her...lol.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Haha funny, just say yes, dear, I was talking about you!

I fired it up tonight, it needs a fair bit of choke but it sounds fine, no weird stuff going on, revs freely and sounds mean. I am putting the chain on now, just got my rivet master link for the new DID O ring chain that came with it.

I will post the video after it's done 'processing' which is taking ages. I was a bit light headed from the fumes I think, but happy. I shot a bit of starter fluid in the very first time, just to give an extra boost, and it fired after about two spins - after 24 years. Man these bikes are cool.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        I've always gotten a kick out of the Brits!

Thanks for sharing.

Your bike takes beautiful pics by the way...

I said, "Beautiful" out loud just now and my wife thought I was talking to her...lol.

Ed

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

OK here is the startup video. I was pretty tired after working on the bike a few hours, mainly prepping the tank to ensure no rust, and I lamely said 34 years not 24 since it has run. It fired right up and I may take for a short ride tomorrow, but really need to get it to the tuner. It sure seems good at first impression, no funky sounds and no dramas except the prime function on the petcock decided not to work, which is odd since I had it working not an hour prior. I used my hand vacuum pump to get it flowing, the electric pump grabbed some juice and it was all set for liftoff.

The front fork is not holding air and seems to be very mushy. I used 15w and should have used 10w, I think. It has progressive springs but nowhere near firm enough for my taste, so a bit of air would help, for a quick fix, but I'll address it properly soon enough.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well done!
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Superb. It always surprises me how much the turbo works as a silencer.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Fantastic!
                The filter housing faux polish was a nice touch.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Excellent!
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Absolutely fantastic, so rewarding to get that first start done!
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks all. The chain is now on, but I need to work on the forks, do the proper triple clamp align/cinch, diagnose the air leak at the upper seal. It all seemed fine going together, not new seals but they held air before I worked on them, dang. Spacers may be in my future, thinking it over. I think if I take to the tuner right away I'll be tempted to ride as soon as it's done, and I want things to be right.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

She sounds pretty dam good. Get it all worked out, then take it to the tuner. If you are anything like me, you won't stop riding it long enough to sort out the last couple of little things. CONGRATS ! ! !
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Dropped it off today and had a chat with the owner, quite the character - he's Wes Cooley's brother in law. He'll put an O2 sensor in the pipe, will do behind/under where it won't show. Should have by the weekend. All the shop guys gathered round to check it out.

Forks are better now after alignment but springs too soft. I will deal with that, I remember people used to put spacers in from PVC or ABS, but replacements aren't too expensive either. Sonic seems to have good rep from what I read on this forum.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Forks are better now after alignment but springs too soft. I will deal with that, I remember people used to put spacers in from PVC or ABS, but replacements aren't too expensive either. Sonic seems to have good rep from what I read on this forum.
                            You'll have to put spacers in with the new springs, so you might just want to order them up.
                            Sonics are good, the owner is a member here.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

The bike looks great, sounds great. But you don't look anything like your avatar! 😃
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Heck, with the new covid beard and longish hair I don't even look like me anymore.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                                The bike looks great, sounds great. But you don't look anything like your avatar! 
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X