No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike being jetted, still! Waiting 5 weeks. At least I have my Multistrada to ride and a '73 CB750K project to keep me busy. I got a new front and decent rear (rear was free) and laced them with new spokes, polished the hubs etc. Mounting the 3.25x19 Avon AM26 was a 'challenge'. Mountain bike knee pads, large clamps, tire irons, valve stem puller, sweat and beer, and I got it mounted. Tube type are much harder, I'm finding. First time I mounted tires was on the EPM wheels on the GS and it was pretty easy, comparatively. Anyway front done, and when (if?) I get the GS back I will take the too large 110/90-18 off and use on the rear of the CB, as I've bought a 100/90-18 for the GS. It all worked out. I might have wanted fatter in rear of CB but it's actually pretty close to stock so that'll be fine.

The CB will be 'sunrise orange flake' with the pinstripes and black panel. That will be a challenge but House of Kolor sells the paint and I think I can manage it, I've painted a lot.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Ooo, you got the new version Roadrider! Nice!
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah so I'll have a mix. Both fronts (GS and CB) will be the MKII. The availability on AM26's was really sketchy lately, I'm guessing production was changing over. I normally ran Metzelers on my big 4's but all the reviews say the Avon's are great, and the price is reasonable.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

In the '70's and '80's, I used to change rear tires on my CB350 and Z1 myself. I was always getting flats, so I'd use a couple of large plier handles, and frequently 'walk' (or jump up & down) around the tire as the wheel lay on my driveway. And I'd rarely have a matching (front & rear) set. Or get the tire on the first try without damaging the tube. "Give me a tire and 3 tubes."

But I insisted that a "set" of Pirelli Sport Demons be installed on my 11EZ. I just wished they didn't have to come from different parts of the country. Why couldn't my mechanic have just told me the front and rear were a match made in heaven, and they had always been together from the moment they were born?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Those were not the good old days, tire wise. So funny to think of going cross country with a wad of cash (I had no credit card), no cell phone, a tent and some basic tools. I made several 3 or 4 day crossings, pitching tent by the car or bike headlight, whichever it may be. Ah, youth!

Not to turn this into a CB750 thread (sure miss the GS!) but I had a go at the cylinder base gasket today. I looked for the Permatex remover, but think the old stuff is banned in CA now. Not sure I trust the new 'foaming' formula to the tune of $10, so I tried some good quality paint stripper I had (still the old formula, strong stuff), laid it on and had a 2 hour beer break/nap. The brittle old gasket softened up really well. Most just peeled off clean in large chunks. I used a ~3/8 wide woodworker's carving knife, perfect for the job as long as you are gentle and keep it perfectly flat. For the small areas that are still stuck I shaved down and re-applied the gel to finish up tomorrow.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            In the '70's and '80's, I used to change rear tires on my CB350 and Z1 myself. I was always getting flats, so I'd use a couple of large plier handles, and frequently 'walk' (or jump up & down) around the tire as the wheel lay on my driveway. And I'd rarely have a matching (front & rear) set. Or get the tire on the first try without damaging the tube. "Give me a tire and 3 tubes."

But I insisted that a "set" of Pirelli Sport Demons be installed on my 11EZ. I just wished they didn't have to come from different parts of the country. Why couldn't my mechanic have just told me the front and rear were a match made in heaven, and they had always been together from the moment they were born?
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Any news on this? The suspence is killing me.
              1981 GS1100E

Comment

Well it's been a very long time waiting but I got a call from the tuner and he has it idling well now, and he's ready to tune the main jets, but it's throwing out too much voltage. Something wrong with the reg/rec or maybe just bad grounding. I have a spare one and will bring it to him tomorrow morning. I have been busy on the '73 CB750 restoration and a '94 XT350 that I got for my son, and I have my Ducati Multistrada to ride, but it's been tough waiting two months for the GS. It should be done this week as long as the charging system is sorted.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Good to hear it is getting closer to the finish line/timing lights.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Did you do the SH775 conversion on the bike? I can't remember and I'm a bit too lazy at the moment to look back through the build to find out.

If not, that's definitely something you should do. That's likely your over charging issue.
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

No, it's stock, low mileage (only when raced...) but old. I have a spare and today I gave that for the shop to try, will see how it works out for the near term anyway - I know this area is a weakness, though I owned 2 previous GSs and never had any problems. I just hope it gets it out the door and back home, then I will consider upgrading.

It was good to hear it fire up and idle nicely, and see the care and knowledge being applied, however slowly.

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                      Did you do the SH775 conversion on the bike? I can't remember and I'm a bit too lazy at the moment to look back through the build to find out.

If not, that's definitely something you should do. That's likely your over charging issue.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                        I know this area is a weakness, though I owned 2 previous GSs and never had any problems. I just hope it gets it out the door and back home, then I will consider upgrading.
                        I was the same way. I bought my 850L with ~23k miles and now has nearly 30k. I never had an issue for those miles on the original charging system. One day in preparation for a long trip, I checked charging voltage. It was over 15V! I ordered a used SH775 and it works great now. Fortunately I did this before it left me stranded or cooked my stator. I highly recommend you do the same, even if it's not going to get many miles.

I tend to be very frugal and wanted to keep running the OEM regrec but after making the conversion, I've decided it's much cheaper and easier to do before getting stranded than afterwards. I intend on doing the conversion on my other GSs, regardless of condition.
                        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Thanks - I see some with wide ranging prices on eBay down into the mid 20's range for Polaris, which rings a bell from reading the forum articles. I'll do some research and make it right, at present just want it tuned and running even if just a patch for the time being. I have 4 bikes now, getting ridiculous. I will go through the electrics again with a fine tooth comb - clean contacts with proper stuff, etc.

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                          I was the same way. I bought my 850L with ~23k miles and now has nearly 30k. I never had an issue for those miles on the original charging system. One day in preparation for a long trip, I checked charging voltage. It was over 15V! I ordered a used SH775 and it works great now. Fortunately I did this before it left me stranded or cooked my stator. I highly recommend you do the same, even if it's not going to get many miles.

I tend to be very frugal and wanted to keep running the OEM regrec but after making the conversion, I've decided it's much cheaper and easier to do before getting stranded than afterwards. I intend on doing the conversion on my other GSs, regardless of condition.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                            Thanks - I see some with wide ranging prices on eBay down into the mid 20's range for Polaris, which rings a bell from reading the forum articles.
                            You have to be VERY careful with the eBay ads.

Far too many of them advertise an R/R as "Replaces" or "Fits" or "For" the particular vehicle. You can include Polaris RZR and SeaDoo in your search. The quickest way to weed out the fakes is to limit your search to "US only" and "used only". Once you thin out the selections, look for pictures in the ad that actually show the "SH775" on the back fin.

Let me know if you need any help looking for the genuine thing.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the tip Steve, I appreciate it. Filtering down and it looks like about $80 for those that meet this criteria, which is fine.

Really happy right now as I scored a stock seat for $40 (20 for the seat, $20 for shipping) and it looks fine except of course the standard seam split in front. I think my shortened seat may have a market for someone, it's nice, just too low for me at 6'3". I think every single GS1100E seat split at the front and will look at what the best fix is. Maybe just have it done professionally.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              You have to be VERY careful with the eBay ads.

Far too many of them advertise an R/R as "Replaces" or "Fits" or "For" the particular vehicle. You can include Polaris RZR and SeaDoo in your search. The quickest way to weed out the fakes is to limit your search to "US only" and "used only". Once you thin out the selections, look for pictures in the ad that actually show the "SH775" on the back fin.

Let me know if you need any help looking for the genuine thing.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 09-03-2020, 01:18 AM.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I am fascinated with building a turbo setup like the Mr. Turbo kits. I can select a turbo and build all of the parts. The part I know nothing about is the carburetor. What carburetor does this kit use, and does it work well for a street ridden bike that doesn't get whooped on a lot?
                                1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Working...
                                X