No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a very cheap Harbor Freight blaster and tried it out with some baking soda. Gravity feed probably better, I looked at the CFM needs and picked the lowest due to my wimpy compressor. It made quick work of the brake calipers, and my teeth are much whiter too! I'll use on the engine (with everything sealed tighter than a frog's butt). I just have to be patient or borrow a bigger compressor, as mine is still too wimpy.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-06-2020, 11:44 AM.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Wow, those came out nice. Which HF blaster did you get? I have been considering buying one, but have been waiting for someone else to take that plunge, then evaluating their results, LOL.
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-lite...gun-92857.html. Lots of videos about making something similar out of a plastic bottle and a tube type air gun but that looked like too much fiddling. I got a disposable plastic inline dryer for another $3.

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        Wow, those came out nice. Which HF blaster did you get? I have been considering buying one, but have been waiting for someone else to take that plunge, then evaluating their results, LOL.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Got my bench grinder set up with buffing wheels and had a pass with the Tripoli after sanding down the few gouges, coming along nicely. Got all engine covers and footpeg brackets pretty much done, except some Dremel work and maybe touch up. I don't want to overdo it. Rainy day so I couldn't soda blast or paint.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-07-2020, 01:44 AM.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
            https://www.harborfreight.com/1-lite...gun-92857.html. Lots of videos about making something similar out of a plastic bottle and a tube type air gun but that looked like too much fiddling. I got a disposable plastic inline dryer for another $3.
            Well alright, thanks for the tip. I will likely pick one up for next winters painting projects.
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Got my bench grinder set up with buffing wheels and had a pass with the Tripoli after sanding down the few gouges, coming along nicely. Got all engine covers and footpeg brackets pretty much done, except some Dremel work and maybe touch up. I don't want to overdo it. Rainy day so I couldn't soda blast or paint.

WOW! That's amazing!

Comment

Thanks, lots of elbow grease, wet sand with 220 on some areas with gouges, then 500, 1000, then the wheel worked fine. I tried with 1500/2000 and really didn't need it.

I will soda blast the engine and paint the upper half with VHT SP127 when the weather cooperates. I dab the bolt heads with a Q-tip and Vaseline so the paint won't stick to them.

I got a good chuckle out of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-odCQsb7Y

Originally posted by susukeegs View Post
                WOW! That's amazing!
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

LOL, that video was great. I guess I do more work in my garage than I thought!
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

Comment

Had a week off but it rained here in Southern CA, so no painting. That's probably a good thing because makes me really focus on prep. The better gas cap of the two I have was still dinged, so I'm using JB weld to fill that blemish. Intersting that under the paint it's brass plated. I polished the forks with rouge on my buffer, they are quite good (and the buffer took out some visible light scratches). There are a couple of pits that look to be above the normal travel of the seal, but I will smooth and fill them anyway, probably with JB Weld. I once fixed a spa heater fitting with that stuff and it saved me a bundle.

The soda blaster works fine, but it's best to use paint stripper on parts first, softens it up and makes the last bit quick. Rebuilt the rear brake caliper, had 2 of them so I picked the best parts from both and it's going to be fine.

Next week I'll go to my neighbor's powder coating shop with the EPM wheels and a few parts to be coated, see what they can do. I got all the bearings out except the sprocket side of the rear, which has two bearings, back to back with, I think, a circlip between them. I couldn't get a purchase on it with my improvise punch (a ground down knife sharpener). I have a local shop removing them, hopefully without damage because the bearings are fine. Wheel color looks like a Spanish Gold, similar if not the same as WRX wheels. We'll see if they have a color match. I thought about silver but might as well keep the bling (though I'm not a fan of gold, this is a nice gold). He knows his stuff, having worked in metal finishing or 40 years.

I thought about refinishing the swingarm, but it's really not bad after cleaning. It appears to be anodized and removing a couple of dings is really over the top, I'll let it be.

Not that interesting, maybe I'm just chronicling this mundane stuff for my son and heir.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Not that interesting, maybe I'm just chronicling this mundane stuff for my son and heir.
                      I find it interesting, but maybe I'm biased (also an 11EZ owner).
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Bless you Rob

My best friend had the exact same year and color GS and we absolutely love them. He's restoring a CB750 and I'm hopefully inspiring him with my progress and focus. We talk about a road trip someday soon. Our teenage sons are watching with interest and getting the itch. Uh oh.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        I find it interesting, but maybe I'm biased (also an 11EZ owner).
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Bless you Rob

My best friend had the exact same year and color GS and we absolutely love them. He's restoring a CB750 and I'm hopefully inspiring him with my progress and focus. We talk about a road trip someday soon. Our teenage sons are watching with interest and getting the itch. Uh oh.
                          I am biased, too.
                          Please keep the details coming.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I did some minor work on the gauges today, checked all the bulbs and tried Flitz on the lenses. A friend lent me to try, didn't hurt, certainly. The PO had mounted the Mr. Turbo liquid boost gauge in place of the speedo. I have the original housing for that gauge that mounts to the left handlebar mount. At 184MPH, glancing down vs. sideways even a little bit must make a difference.

What's really nice is that I get a little over a quarter tank of gas for free!

Edit: Oh and I ordered a set of Progressive 12 series dampers, got for $168 which seems a great price, Ebay seller with good rep. Will get tomorrow. I may try the original springs on them but in al likelihood I'll get the heavy duty Progressive ones, as I'm pretty err... big.

At this point I have every single thing either in hand or on the way except the pesky headlight brackets. I bet the PO finds them, as he gave me a great stash. I was tempted to 'help' dig through his garage but that would be a bit intrusive.

I have a bunch of stuff to sell eventually - brand new carbs and wheels, cams, complete air box, carb boots and clamps, '83 carbs and complete pegs and bracket set (with bolts), plus black countershaft sprocket cover, S&S Super B carb and filter housing for the Harley guys, plus spare brake calipers, kickstand, many engine brackets, even cylinder sleeves and valve springs that are probably new takeoffs.

Not putting in the FS section yet but if anyone has interest let me know. Especially if you have 82/83 headlight brackets, we can trade stuff perhaps.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-14-2020, 12:11 AM.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Weather finally broke, 78 dry and not too windy. I prepped the engine with degreaser/pressure wash/leaf blower, then scrubbed well all over with Scotch-Brite brown pads, using a putty knife to jam between fins, and a screwdriver to do other tight areas. One more degrease/wash/blower session then brake cleaner all over. Taped it up and put 2 light and one medium coat on as the can instructs. I have one run to fix but overall very happy. I put vaseline on the bolt heads so the paint won't stick, will remove with a plastic bristle brush on a Dremel, has worked well for me before. I cleaned them up with the little wire wheel beforehand too. Should look pristine.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-14-2020, 10:05 PM.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Watched a Don Vesco & Silver Bird clip on Youtube, pretty cool. The guy at 20 - 32 seconds in looks like the same S.C.T.A. inspector that is in the pic from the seller. I have a receipt from Vesco (below), 60 hrs of work for $1200 back in 9/82, 3 months after purchase.

White hat man...

Receipt...

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X