Suzuki Gs850 EFI Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
    Don't think I was dumping on you, I wasn't. But I am familiar with solid modeling and CNC work and I realize that machines don't run for free and costs add up quickly. It is just a fact of life and cannot be avoided.

Mark
    I don't think you were dumping on me but you can if you like, I don't mind

I had some major computer and software issues (as well as the usual operator error, beer drinking and video games) and fell way behind my original schedule but the runners are done! I've diverted from my original order of operations and I'd like to tackle my crank trigger wheel next.

Last edited by rjteeter; 05-16-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Those look great! Sidewall thickness looks thick, are you going to trim them down?

Also, I don't see tabs for bolting them to the head like the boots have. Whats your mounting strategy?
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
        Those look great! Sidewall thickness looks thick, are you going to trim them down?

Also, I don't see tabs for bolting them to the head like the boots have. Whats your mounting strategy?
        They are final size. They adapt GSXR Throttle bodies. The outside diameter matches the GSXR throttle bodies. I will mill a flange for mounting.

Comment

Oh gotcha. Looks great.
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
          - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Very cool project...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Welp, as usual I went a little eccentric in my design and beyond my capability but I have another overly involved prototype, lol. Lots of photos to follow...

I started off with some stock which I had to turn down a smaller diameter section on my lathe, to fit in my tiny 4th axis chuck on my mill:

Then I burned up about $100USD in end mills trying to mill steel (I am more familiar with aluminum):

Comment

I ended up with a 24-2 adjustable timing wheel and stand off that bolts up to the Suzuki GS crank with the stock bolt and crank nut and fits under the stock timing cover:

Comment

Past my typical milling mistakes I made one obnoxious design flaw (and yet again beyond the design flaws created when I designed this before receiving all necessary specs needed for the hall effect sensor I chose to go with), The crank/wheel mounting bolt/crank turning nut mate up the the trigger wheel surface. This means if I want to adjust the trigger wheel I need to loosen the crank bolt. I should have had the stand off center/alignment ring larger and protrude fully through the center of the trigger wheel so the crank bolt/nut mate to the stand off and not the trigger wheel. I will probably re-design and re-mill at some point any way because I believe I can make the wheel smaller and maybe go for higher tooth count. Also might design a beefy cover replacement as, as it sits this just looks like an 11k rpm projectile waiting for its moment to sever a limb. - Notes to future self.
                  Last edited by rjteeter; 05-30-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Thought of this. Name the movie.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      Thought of this. Name the movie.
                      It's been a while. Probably since TBS ran them every night for two weeks back in the mid nineties. Always something on to watch for those two weeks. I think that one was Moonraker.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Intake manifold flange is milled! It does need to be adjusted and taken back to mill as the insides hit the timing chain extrusion on the head leaving me unable to mount it. Sadness fills my heart.

Comment

Hey all, thanks for the pictures. I've been back to work for a week now (third shift GROSS, going back to second shift next week. I'm currently working on the adjustable linkage at center, between the throttle bodies. I have a design and if I get motivated I'll post an image. But I'm curious as to what other people would come up with/engineer. I'll try to verbally illustrate what I'm after; I have 4 throttle bodies - The two sets of outer throttle bodies share one single butterfly shaft (that's two shafts, one for each two; outer throttle body sets). Between the center 2 throttle bodies (cylinders 2 and 3) I need a simple but adjustable linkage to connected the butterfly shafts. My creativity is spent and I could use some help here. This is actually a pretty silly request as the stock style would work but without turning it into cad or having a drawing present I'm just lost. I think I have an image lost in my head but I can't continue until I figure out what I want/need.

Comment

Maybe something in this design will inspire you.

Steering linkage for an RC six wheel formula one car.

Here's the site it was on.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                              Maybe something in this design will inspire you.

Steering linkage for an RC six wheel formula one car.

Here's the site it was on.
                              Roger, thanks for the thought. This is a pretty interesting setup but I have a vague starting point and can't find any improvement from my starting point based off this ( I will re-evaluate later, though). At any rate, drift season is upon us and I have shifted my focus on getting my drift car ready. I will return to this project later this year or as resources allow.

Comment

Working...
                              X