No announcement yet.

1977 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These carbs were a bit more than I was expecting. I ran into some pretty badly scarred up screw heads and I should have stopped and soaked.
    I tried my drill and easy out method with no success. I couldn't remove the cable arms. And one of the bolts broke and I destroyed some of the irony aluminium and bent a needle. I soaked what was remaining over night.
    All the rings are shot, the gaskets were almost deteriorated. I'm probably going to have to replace the one carburetor.
    I'm trying to get my buddy to scope the jugs this week because I'm probably going to have to open them up. Hind sight has me wishing I could have run compression before I opened it up. Throttle cables were junk. Battery box is not bad but I might try to fabricate my own just for fun.
    I haven't gotten to the clutch cable yet but the master cylinder on the other side leaks, also does this look like a head gasket leak to anyone?

I still couldn't get the pictures to upload from my account. Is it because I'm on my phone? I dont own a computer.

But judging from the shape of the carbs and gaskets so far I'm thinking I'm going to have to follow through with my initial plan of a complete tear down.
    My buy list is rapidly growing.

Comment

This is my Flickr screen

This is the message when I try to insert the url.

Comment

Are you uploading these from your phone then? That makes it a bit harder as the app doesn't work like the website does which is what I'll use to post the pictures. I'll see if I can't play around with it some
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes I'm using my phone. I tried the web browser instead of the flickr app and it gave me the same message.
          I tried uploading a picture on another website and use that url with the same results.

Comment

Just looked and I have the air box itself but not the top. I think I had the same issue with my daughter’s L so I just bought a complete air box just for the lid
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Tbh I wasn't aware the airbox had a lid. I'm actually considering since I'm already going to have to re adjust the carburetors getting rid of the airbox and putting in pod filters.
              Im not sure factory restore would be easy, plus since I'm pretty sure I have a running "parts" bike, I'd like to customize it. Not so much in the motor aspect but its pretty beat up.
              Blinker lights are working but broken. I have the rear body parts... (original rear fender, taillight.)
              Its rusty. The front shocks, handlebars, and rims.
              It looks like the frame has been painted with everything on it. Tbh it looks like a rattle can job.
              My plan is to focus on the motor firstly cosmetics dont matter much to me, but if I'm already replacing the lights, hand controls, oh yeah and the right mirror is broken.
              I can use the original manifold but there are holes rusted through in the pipes so I will be replacing with aftermarket. I do like how this bike sits so I want to keep the frame and suspension the same.
              The foot pegs and controls are ratty.
              Also if anyone here can use anything I'm not keeping lmk, I will post updates of my progress as often as time and cash will allow.

Comment

As of now I have taken your advice, soaked my carbs in vinegar completely broken down. I ordered the rings from cycleorings.com. I ordered the replacement parts that were damaged, and mr. Gasket material.
                Soaked the petcock, which needs to be re done. I have to wait to order any more parts. I'm pretty intrigued with this bike so far, I'm having fun with it.

Comment

Well I pulled my motor and started a breakdown. Tbh it looked way better than I expected inside the top end.

Should I continue or not? I think this looks pretty normal, the leak was from the tach cable and not the valve gasket.

Aside from being really dirty I think everything is fine.

Comment

I haven't abandoned my bike, I have been pretty busy with work. I received my o rings from cycleorings.com pretty quickly and will most likely be replacing the intake tube rings as well.
                    The rest has been scrubbing grease, removing stripped or broken screws. I think I may have gotten ahead of myself in the valves, I didn't measure for spec before removing the cam shafts. I haven't gotten into the pistons yet, and probably won't. Although my curiosity persists and I worry that I will regret putting everything back together and the rings are bad or something.
                    Aside from cleaning parts after work for days not much progress to note.

Comment

Working...
                    X