Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a personal collection of all 1982 motorcycle magazines available???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a personal collection of all 1982 motorcycle magazines available???

I'm trying to find an old (40yrs) racing picture featured in a motorcycle magazine, (not Suzukis) with Canadian Miles Baldwin on a Yamaha TZ 750 & Mike Baldwin on I believe a rare Honda FWS1000 or RSW1000 4 stroke, at likely a California venue, such as Riverside, Ontario, Sears Point, or Willow, giving a thumbs up to each other on cool down lap after race.

A long shot, but thought maybe someone might recollect this photo from "Race Watch" or the like, back in the day, 40 years ago.

I clipped this out of a magazine long ago & have apparently lost it & on a quest to find it again.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

I've got some of those magazines, but it's a bit of a needle in a haystack looking for what you want. Can you be more specif? Race watch was...Cycle World, or Cycle? Any idea on months?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok is this a death bed request or something?
      Is a wager dependent on this information?
      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-30-2022, 06:52 PM.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I have June '82 Cycle World. I'll take a look.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I actually recently made contact with a friend of Mike's who's building a replica Honda RS500, with an NSR 400 engine & Lucky Strike 250 replica.

He recently had a long letter published in RRW, with mentions of Mike, so I went out on limb & called him.

He talked to Mike about the picture in question, but Mike had no recollection of it.

No wagers or end of life stuff, just like trying to find a Visitor Messages bolt w/flange of the right length in our metric bolt motorcycle stash in the garage.

It's merely just a cool old picture I want to look at again.

I considered going to the library, but ours only has one or two collections of issues. Might still do that, as its funny to look at the ads n such & all the performance ads that actually increased performance back then. Just saw a Winston ad from a 1982 Cycle Gude that cracked me up.

Regarding which of the 4-5 magazine available back then 1982, I have no idea, except Cycle, Cycle Guide, Motorcyclist, Cycle World would be the more likely candidates.
          Not helping in narrowing things down, but this forum lives in that era of bikes, so someone out there might remember it. The guy even said that Canadian Miles bought the TZ from Mike & proceeded to be very competitive on it, considering who he was competing against with other riders factory supported.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

There's a fellow that sets up at Mid-Ohio during the vintage motorcycle days event. He sells all kinds of old magazines.
            He has them organized by the year and months. They're not cheap though, I think like 3 for $40 something like that.
            But if you want the road test of your vintage motorcycle, I guess that's not to expensive.
            Yeah, they are cool to read.
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Somewhere uts all been digitized. Pinterest is as good a place to start as any.
              Google image search sucks
              partly due to crap meta data on files
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Yeah, I scrolled thru countless pictures online & found many I've seen in mags back in the day, but this one eludes me.

I recently noticed in RRW, a gal photographer Mary Grothe (sp)?, passed away, who was an AMA photographer during those times. Seems probably only a 1/2 dozen people were shooting photos of MC racing back then, or who actually had photos published in mags.

Ideally I could find the actual photographer & buy the photo & enlarge it for the stoke factor.

Comment

September 1983 Cycle World, was apparently how I needed query. Found the photo today on page 79..,
                  Mike Baldwin was not on the rare Honda Works 4-stroke FWS 1000, but on a Honda 3 cylinder RS 500.
                  20221111_211738 by Carter Turk, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X