Post Your Race/Track bike Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GregT View Post
    Jeff Nash - not a kiwi is he ? There was a Jeff Nash here who I understand is now in the US
    Yes, that would be him! Originally from New Zealand and still has family there. He is the owner of Advanced Motor Sports/Ducati Dallas in Dallas, TX. Really great guy and one of the best Ducati engine builder/tuners around.

Comment

Originally posted by jheurte View Post
      Yes, that would be him! Originally from New Zealand and still has family there. He is the owner of Advanced Motor Sports/Ducati Dallas in Dallas, TX. Really great guy and one of the best Ducati engine builder/tuners around.
      I only met him a couple of times through mutual friends in the BEARS club.
      Tell him we're still here despite the quake - and it's about time he came back for the Sound Of Thunder meeting, preferably with a quick Ducati.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
        The damage has got low side/front lock up writen all over it......
        @ Pedda: hope you came out of it not too banged up mate, nice bike by the way
        Pretty right that is. Lost front grip in a fast 5th gear left hander, Katana performing a lovely salto into the gravel. Me sliding with my ripcage over the curbs, bumped heavily, I tell ya. For the following weeks that caused me some severe...errr... yes, let's face the truth... ahem.... labour pain everytime I tried to do something copious on the toilet...

Besides that I had two fingers' capsules grinded by the tarmac.

Comment

Halloween drag race

Hi GSR
          Had my bikes out at MIR for some fun.
          Picture #1Outlaw Chassis with 1260 10:1 engine g4 cams out for almost the first time with Brakes...hahah ran a 9.50 140mph,I know I need to put the bar on and run and 8.90...
          The Almost mint 1210 actual miles VERY CLEAN 1985 Gs 1150 I have had for years,we put the engine together from spare parts from my street bike build,most of the summer some might remember the engine that had the Valve adjuster screw fall down and break the cam chain at about 8k.The bike has a stock set of 1150 carbs 5in slick,stock 1150 head,1166 kit,welded basket.air shifter..Bike ran a 10.7 129mph with a 240lb rider.Not bad for such a beast.

Comment

This is my old bike that I got the Wally at Bakersfield on. Still have the motor but the chassis went to Florida. Ray.

Comment

Cool GSX racers

Those GSX racers are cool, but why keep the headlight? In road racing rules, they want anything made of glass to be taped over or removed. No ethel glycol, and if you dump oil on the track your done for the day.
              Bill
              P.S. How about other makes for dragsters: Does anybody campaign the Yamaha FJ-1200, and what are the preferred Honda and Kawasaki bikes, from the same time period?
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                Those GSX racers are cool, but why keep the headlight? In road racing rules, they want anything made of glass to be taped over or removed.

I used my headlight when night racing! Us drag racers rarely crash! Road racers, not so much.

No ethel glycol, and if you dump oil on the track your done for the day.
                Bill
                P.S. How about other makes for dragsters: Does anybody campaign the Yamaha FJ-1200, and what are the preferred Honda and Kawasaki bikes, from the same time period?
                Nowadays, for the most part, you will see GSXR 1000s, Busas, ZX14s, GS1100s & 1150s, & old KZs. Once in awhile you will see an FJ but not too often. The cylinder heads were NOT a good design & the aftermarket market never go too enthused with the FJs. GREAT streetbike though!!! Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray!

So none of the Honda's make for good drag racers?
                  About FJ1100-1200's, yea I've seen some very good deals for FJ1100's lately and from the specs and reviews I've read, they sound like a great highway bike, except for the 34 mpg.
                  Bill
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

The KINGS of the drag strip will always be GS`s and KZ`s. Tough as nails and very reliable!

Comment

Vance & Hines raced both Fj1100 and Honda CB1100F based bikes in prostock for a very short time. Won with them too. Ray would probably know more about those bikes than me.....

Comment

The Honda V&H did was a "Loophole in the rules" one race only bike. They won Gainesville, the bike got "rules" out, & got sold to Europe. Ask me for details on the Honda sometime! The Yamaha was the same year they ran the Yamaha roadrace team & it was a one year deal too as Terry was already retired & Byron had to race it. George Bryce made a comment about the bike not being able to win a race & then right after that comment, Byron won Topeka with it. The head was such a bad design for drag racing that Byron had to put THREE spark plugs in each hole to get it to make power!!! The combustion chamber was just TERRIBLE in that engine! A little Pro Stock Motorcycle history for you. A friend of mine here owns the ELR Kawi they ran & I am fixing the head on it right now. That bike was special too. It was a REAL ELR, MUZZY raced it as a Superbike, & then it became a V&H Pro Stock bike! Talk about pedigree! My friend even still has the black & silver bodywork it was raced in by V&H! Ray.

Comment

FJ are reced in a spec class called "legend car" on small dirt oval tracks. They put the engine in sideways and direct drive it to the rear end. Most are like 40's type of car bodies.
                          start with a bad design and end with a bad product- for M/C drag racing.
                          The engine turns backwards to most every other motorcycle engine. There is a extra jack shaft to correct the rotating direction of the engine to make it go forwards. HEAVY engine as well as other design limitations.

honda is just a matter of getting parts and riding something different. Guys like me buy used parts from other racers and most well designed parts are KZ/GS. light weight and hi power is the name of the drag racing game.

nice picture ray your number I like too. mine is just 512 . I want a wally and will do my best to get one in 2012.
                          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I remember seeing a guy named Rod Mumford blow up an FJ at Norwalk Raceway in Ohio. Probably 20 years ago. Spectacular.
                            I see he is still in business...http://www.prochassiecycle.com/
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Tuned in at a bad time…

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              I remember seeing a guy named Rod Mumford blow up an FJ at Norwalk Raceway in Ohio. Probably 20 years ago. Spectacular.
                              I see he is still in business...http://www.prochassiecycle.com/
                              From his pics he knows something about the FJ.
                              From the notice on the home page he's recently crashed real bad, but recovering.
                              Bill

Comment

Seeing that, a quick search showed that he had an accident on the street in Sept.
                                A page here with a bit more info on a hot rod FJ.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X