No announcement yet.

How did you all get into racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my father raced when i was little....started on an gs1000 then moved up to and 84{i think, the one with the MONSTER headlight} put a 1428 motor in it and bracket raced every sunday, ran 9.30's {remind you that this was in the mid 90's} so she was fast. got a part time job at the track and been hooked ever since.

Comment

Seeing as the last post was in April you'll have to consider this a bump...
      First thing is...don't take an attitude about drag racing. The drag strip is the absolutely best place to learn how to get killer holeshot starts no matter what type racing you decide to do. It's also the best place to get your carb jetting spot on and the absolute safest place to learn how to deal with the racing jitters and butterflies that everyone, especially newbies experience, not to mention honing the eye hand coordination and quick shifting skills needed in every discipline of motorcycle racing.

Personally, racing was foreign to me because my folks had no interest. I had all the fantastic dreams of a small boy that saw it on TV but until a friends Dad took me along to a stock car race I never figured I'd ever see a race let alone compete in one. I got hooked and snuck to the local track (a 1/4 mile asphalt bullring about 10 miles from my home near the airport) every time I had a chance. It was in the summer between my freshman and sophomore year in high school that I snuck off with some friends to a track that was about 30 miles away one night that was a dirt track running motorcycles...I paid the $2.50 general admission at the speedway gate, walked right up to the track side fence and saw flat track for the first time at Santa Fe Speedway...I knew as deep down as deep down can get that this was something I HAD TO DO!...From that point on my life revolved around motorcycle races and girls! I forged the parental permission blanks and competed in scrambles and amateur short track races when I could on borrowed bikes and various "grey market" scoots I'd "acquire" for a couple of summers. When I turned 18 I got my Dad to sign the papers so I could apply for an AMA pro license (In those days you still needed parents permission until you were 21...Boy was my Mom mad at my Dad the first time I crashed bad enough to need crutches!). I raced flat track at the equivilent in other sports double "A" pro level for a dozen years and in between I ran enduros, hare scrambles, ice races and some cross country. I also got to hang out with and actually get to know some of my heroes! When I got too old and gave up the pro license I did some drag racing in the street class, got serious about it but ultimately spent the money I had saved and earmarked for a Super Stock Harley Sportster on a house (my wife insisted) and also qualified for a road racing license and dabbled in club racing a bit until I ultimately discovered AHRMA and vintage racing. I discovered there was more bang for the buck in the dirt and raced vintage MX and started to compete in vintage trials and have been doing that for over 15 years now (with an occasional outing on a modern bike in District Super Senior classes), although I've cut down on how often I get out lately. I have a VERY STRONG desire to go do some drag racing again but I'm still looking for the right GS Suzuki to do it with.
      That actually was a long story made VERY short!
      Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the story OTB. Raceing is something I did very early as a kid, but never got to try as an adult.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

At 43 i figured it was now or never so i bought my bike from Bob last winter and have managed to get my NHRA lic this summer.I always wanted to be at the drags but children and financial restraints would not allow it.My dad gave me my first bike a 78 gs750 and i would hide behind the factory across the street practicing my burnouts.For anyone who has experienced the launch of a purpose built bike you understand the thrill.My bike has done a best of 1.30 sixty foot at 9.17 so its pretty cool smoking those 300 hp turbo street tire bikes out of the hole,gotta say though launching my new to me zx-12 with no bar is a special skill that i will have to tune.next year i will be racing in the pbss series which pits pro bikes againt sleds

Comment

I grew up behind Lemme's Cycle Ranch in Palatine, Il. I sat in the showroom for 3 months aboard a Rupp Digger Mini Bike. I was 12. Finally my Dad lent me the money and I got a job sweeping the floor and helping to put together the BSA's and Bultaco's at 14. I was going to Santa Fe Speedway with John Lemme where he raced flat track. I had a great child hood growing up in that area... 44 years later, i am still dirt riding and going to the drag strip...The disease is PPS... Peter Pan Syndrome.
            Curt
            sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

If I May be so forward to call you Curt...I'd bet we know or knew some of the same people. I knew John Lemme a L O N G time ago. I was introduced to him by T. C. AKA Tom Collins who was the service Mgr. at Midwest Triumph. I almost bought a CRTT Sprint short track bike from John but I couldn't come up with the cash quick enough and some one with cash on hand got it before me. Had to build a Yamaha instead. T.C.'s brother Jimi Collins was also a friend of John's and there was that whole crowd of Limey/Bultaco/Ossa/Yamaha guys that hung together whose spirital leaders were Gary Nixon, Neil Keen and Charlie Chapple and were the loyal opposition to the HD Sprint crowd led by Freddie Nix, up & comer Rex Beauchamp and the Ulicki brothers. What a great time to be around motorcycles and racing, eh?!
              Did you ever flat track? If so did you run pro? Are you related to the legendary Suzuki drag bike guy, Ray?

Comment

I did know T.C. But at that time I was only 16 and could not hang in the bars with them...There was another guy who taught me how to ride. His name was Joe Mergenthaler. He rode a Matador. I did not get into flat track. I went towards Enduro's and hare scrambles... I still ride with Ed Villadonga. WE are going trail riding tomorrow... And yes those were some fun times to be riding... Also, I am not related to Ray. He built the motor in my Suzuki.
                Curt

Comment

Been away from the computer since your last post...I went down to Springfield for the short track and mile flat track races. If you've never been you need to go! Henry Wiles won the short track and Willy McCoy won his first ever National on the mile beating out Chris Carr in his last ever Springfield appearance in a barn burner of draft & pass slugfest race!
                  Anyway... Curt, I'd really like to meet you sometime...bench race and compare notes...Are you planning any trips to the Grove? The rest of this week has me pretty busy but next week I'm free for a weeknight trip to Union Grove.

Comment

I have to figure out a electrical problem that surfaced last thursday... I will stay in touch...
                    Curt

Comment

Started drag racing on the streets when I was young and dumb.
                      Me and my Friends would fly up and down the highway at triple digits, fly threw speed traps and try to run from the cops.
                      (started in muscle cars)

It was a small town, nothing to do....

Eventually the town grew and we ended up hanging around at the drag strip every night we could and had local car meets.

Then I got a job at a local auto cross track, and THATS when I had a "holy ****, I wanna do THAT!" moment....

Comment

Always had a love for bikes which was enhanced when I met someone who had just bought the first Z1 in Australia (and a new green Mach 3 for his then wife). We became very good friends and I crewed for him for the first Castrol 6 hour race in New Zealand. Years later he married my sister and sponsored Graeme Crosby (Bel Ray Australia).

I had tried racing a very modified Yamaha RD 350 without much success, and then got involved with dirt bikes for a while. Marriage, mortgages and children took over for the next 20 years or so til I found a GS1000S in parts in a warehouse. It became mine for two dozen beer and as I started looking for parts I came across someone who was circuit racing in the Post Classic class.

After watching him race for a couple of years I decided that every year that I didn't race was a rear that I couldn't so I purchased a beat up GS1000 and spent the next 15 months building a bike that was way faster than me.

After a few years of listening, watching, learning, modifying and sometimes winning I am hooked. There is nothing quite like being on the edge, trying to push harder, seeing lap times drop and success come more often.

Racing gives a whole new perspective when watching Stoner and co do the business. I look for stuff like the transition between braking and throttle, the different lines they take, and how they carry speed into a corner.

I still ride the GS1000S occasionally but have become very aware of it's limitations, and am probably a much safer road rider because of my track experiences.

• Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                        • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                        • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                        • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Working...
                        X