race gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love slider clutches

with a lot of lock up weight shattered fibers are common. Rolling into it is bad. get on the button and open up the throttle. trust the equipment or you can just fill up the oil with fiber material over and over again.

I smoked 3 clutches with bad burnouts (low rpm) and poor starting (rolling into it)at the beginning of my learning about sliders. you got to get it locked up as quickly as possible, and get out of it just as quickly when coming out of the water.

I have a complete clutch tool kit - tools, parts, weights, plates, flat surface to check steel warpage, shims for innner hub, settings note book, etc... you ARE going to consume clutch parts/ burnt fiber filled dirty oil

looking good on that racer -- what do you think of the brake configuration?
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

it might sound odd but i think i am going to switch the front to rear masters that way i can hold the front brake with the left and just worry about the throttle with my right.I reviewed the video and found i was sitting on the bike while trying to do my burnout and dont recall looking at the shiftlight at all. 2.66 short with a trap speed of 138 at 11.2 pretty much tells how hard i launched.Second pass on the two step 1.47 short felt pretty good but to no avail coasted to a dismal13.85 at 67mph.Next sun will try again hard on the gas and hopefully get her in the nines where she belongs
      Originally posted by trippivot View Post

with a lot of lock up weight shattered fibers are common. Rolling into it is bad. get on the button and open up the throttle. trust the equipment or you can just fill up the oil with fiber material over and over again.

I smoked 3 clutches with bad burnouts (low rpm) and poor starting (rolling into it)at the beginning of my learning about sliders. you got to get it locked up as quickly as possible, and get out of it just as quickly when coming out of the water.

I have a complete clutch tool kit - tools, parts, weights, plates, flat surface to check steel warpage, shims for innner hub, settings note book, etc... you ARE going to consume clutch parts/ burnt fiber filled dirty oil

looking good on that racer -- what do you think of the brake configuration?

Comment

Are you doing your burnout in 3rd gear?

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
          Are you doing your burnout in 3rd gear?
          yes i was in third doing my burnouts and made sure i was in first to launch. fair question though

Comment

all the KPM slider bikes have the front brake on the left side - that is why I asked. for sure put it there. and rear on the right. I had to get used to that. Also my 1-2 auto was on a thumb switch on the right side !! CONFUSING !!

a 1:47 is really a good 60' time for a 9:90 bike.. getting lower than that will take some tweaking or dieting.

tire pressure, wheelie bar height, stall rpm, jetting, gearing, etc..

during burnouts -- you have to get the clutch locked up tight so when the tire heats up and really starts to pull the engine down it won't slip inside the engine.

Comment

Another option would be a line lock for the front brake, wired to the 2-step button. Will stop any creep on the starting line if your adjustment is a little off.

If you've been street riding only for a long time, switching brakes from 1 side to the other always seemed like an accident waiting to happen. Old habits take over when things go south and you're likely to grab the wrong brake.
              I understand why it's done, just never liked the idea myself

As said before, with a slider don't roll into the throttle or you're going to burn up the clutch plates.....pin it and then back off some after the tire starts spinning.
              My personal burnout method is to set the front brake, whack the throttle open until the shift light starts blinking and hold it there until the tire is hot enough.

Finding a method that works for you and the bike will take some experimenting...good luck and be safe.
              Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

I have to disagree and it is a safety issue why I jump in here!

- if you ever do use a line lock on a bike = L.L. the rear brake! Do you want 7 inches or not quite 2 inches of tire traction holding 160++ horses from crashing the gate?

say again L.L. the rear brake!

sorry when the clutch is hot and grabby your locked front wheel will skidder and wash or just lift and GO with you flailing like a rag doll!

When the clutch is bumping you should chip a step lower/ or check the steels.

A L.L. will smoke a clutch if you have too little air gap and set the 2 step too close to the stall. all in the time for the 3 ambers flash.

line lock or not if you get good and fast at checking the clutch plates and keep good in spec plates/ and good AIR GAP inside there you never need one.
                besides it is another electric thingy to go bad at the wrong time.

Comment

Not disagreeing with your examples, but have been using that setup for several years with no issues.

Probably should have added, both brakes are on 1 m/c with a proportioning valve on the rear (which set fairly light to keep from locking up).

Might also add...if I'm lucky enough to make it into the late rounds, we often get hot lapped. There's barely enough time for gas and air....much less a clutch adjustment.
                  Last edited by gs1197; 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM.
                  Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

bike has run a best of 9.06 with Bob at the helm and he stated it will do low 1.30s fairly easily and after only two passes i dont doubt it for a second. I was suprised how non eventful the second launch was when Bob said it was like riding the scooter he wasnt far off.Thanks for all the responses but i am still pretty sure i will switch the brakes around.I pulled the clutch apart last night and a couple of the friction plates had NO material left ouch.Also sent an e-mail to mtc to get there take on different friction plates but he said to stay with whatever was in it.All i know is that it,s gonna be a fun summer and i am planning to be at the track Sun oops how am i gonna swing that with the wife,hey babe lets spend the day together maybe a nice drive through the country.
                    Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                    all the KPM slider bikes have the front brake on the left side - that is why I asked. for sure put it there. and rear on the right. I had to get used to that. Also my 1-2 auto was on a thumb switch on the right side !! CONFUSING !!

a 1:47 is really a good 60' time for a 9:90 bike.. getting lower than that will take some tweaking or dieting.

tire pressure, wheelie bar height, stall rpm, jetting, gearing, etc..

during burnouts -- you have to get the clutch locked up tight so when the tire heats up and really starts to pull the engine down it won't slip inside the engine.

Comment

this bike is so different than all my others that switching the brakes is only one more thing i have to remember. two step,delay box, air shift slider,shift light,peg position. I will get used to it and then i will show them all
                      Originally posted by gs1197 View Post
                      Another option would be a line lock for the front brake, wired to the 2-step button. Will stop any creep on the starting line if your adjustment is a little off.

If you've been street riding only for a long time, switching brakes from 1 side to the other always seemed like an accident waiting to happen. Old habits take over when things go south and you're likely to grab the wrong brake.
                      I understand why it's done, just never liked the idea myself

As said before, with a slider don't roll into the throttle or you're going to burn up the clutch plates.....pin it and then back off some after the tire starts spinning.
                      My personal burnout method is to set the front brake, whack the throttle open until the shift light starts blinking and hold it there until the tire is hot enough.

Finding a method that works for you and the bike will take some experimenting...good luck and be safe.

Comment

2 words..
                        gast fibers.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          2 words..
                          gast fibers.
                          That's what was in there and the spare set I gave Steve were also FBGs....
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

That's good. Cause I ordered 50 and with our dollar so strong I pay less than u guys hehe
                            Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            That's what was in there and the spare set I gave Steve were also FBGs....

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                              That's good. Cause I ordered 50 and with our dollar so strong I pay less than u guys hehe
                              It sure is nice to have the conversion rate in our favor for achange
                              Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                              2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

all tuned up and ready to rock this saturday.wont be able to compete till i get my medical form done and make a couple passes but i can test all day.This Sat will be test 2 with a couple spare clutchs on board and a new inner hub that looked like it,s seen better days.times and pics to follow

Comment

Working...
                                X