No announcement yet.

Suspension tuning tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what JohnKat was remembering was the story on the GS1000 that Mick Hone ran with Robbie Phyllis on board...heard of him Andy ?
    If I remember right, Hone was quoted as saying that they found no gain from a braced frame or the 1100 aluminium arm but best results were with a braced standard steel arm.
    Tyres of course have come a long way since then....someone posted some pics of Phyllis current post classic racebike and yes, it's braced.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
      Mick Hone ran with Robbie Phyllis on board...heard of him Andy ?
      No, the only NZ & OZ riders from back then I can think of is Cooley, Tony Hatton , Michael Cole, Crosby and some Ron dude, I think he rode @ Suzuka with Cooley? The other good ones I know from that period is Mike the bike Hailwood, Ron Haslam, Alex George. The others I know, Sheene, Roberts, etc where 500cc GP riders. But I will oogle them, need more pictures for the formula racer.

Sorry for hi-jackin your thread ashdricky But frame and suspension walk hand in hand
      I don't think a non braced oem frame stands a chance.
      Even braced frames where not good enough, I see good reasons why Harris, Egli, Baker, etc where selling so many frames to the top factory/privat teams.
      Jap bikes didn't have good frames before the RC30 ? Can't think of any other that came before the RC30

Comment

Phyllis carried on into the WSB era and rode works kawasakis alongside Aaron Slight...and the old b...... is still racing.

Comment

Read an interview with Phillis (I think) a few years ago where he was talking about production racing in the early eighties. They wanted to stiffen the frame so they bored the engine mount holes in the engine cases to the same size as the holes in the engine mount brackets, then used oversize bolts that were a tight fit for both to tie the whole lot together. That really makes the engine a structural member and reduces a lot of the torsional and side flex.
          • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
          • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
          • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
          • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

I think Works performance say that they will rebuild any brand of shock & can upgrade valving etc as necessary.

They are in Woodland Hills California.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thank you MonK, Andy, and Cafe, Your knowledge is quite helpful, to answer Cafe's question about the make of shock they are older Ohlins, from a Yamaha I am told. I will have to look into geting them serviced. I was told there is a guy about 2 hours away from me who will rebuild them, but I am yet to hear back.

Comment

I say,find out what the rules are and cheat from there.Put 86-87 GSXR 1100 forks and wheels on it.Ummm... radials and 4 piston brakes.Maybe they won't notice.

Comment

I'm not a racer (though I will be trying to get to a track day this summer) but I will say that even with my smaller level of experience in performance riding, the switch from 35mm forks to wider 37mm gs1000 forks made a massive difference in cornering stability.

How much of a difference is a fork brace going to make? I'm considering buying one as I continue to get my handling where I want it, if it will make a big enough difference in the front end. It still feels like it flexes too much, especially if there are any bumps at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X