Smaller gas tank for racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    If you cut one open, you can also weld in some baffles to reduce the slosh and volume.
    The usuall way to do this is to put a small pipe in the tank to use with your wood-stick-high-tech-level-measuring-instrument and fill the rest up with tank "foam", the best "foam" is the aluminium one, the others need to be changed out so they don't end up clogging up your carbs/filter/etc

Saves weight, is usually mandatory for racing, prevents slosh, and reduces spills if the tank punctures.

Comment

I just remembered what it's called
      explosafe is the good one

Comment

make one out of fiberglass thats old school, it shouldnt be to hard if your creative

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
          make one out of fiberglass thats old school, it shouldnt be to hard if your creative
          Remember to reinforce it with kevlar if you do, a glassfiber tank by itself has no place on a race track. Safety first even when doing silly speeds

Comment

Originally posted by speedyandypandy View Post
            Remember to reinforce it with kevlar if you do, a glassfiber tank by itself has no place on a race track. Safety first even when doing silly speeds
            yea it would be good to check with ama rules ,i was going off of old flat tracker tanks, i had one real old, just pure fiberglass, but with todays regulations , might be best to check b4 wasting a lot of time on one

Comment

Gs 450?

GS 450 E's and S's tanks have a nicely scalloped knee area, have seen one adapted for use on a SOHC CB 750, in an article in the VJMC magazine, looked nice, especially with the 'scallops' painted differently.
              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                yea it would be good to check with ama rules ,i was going off of old flat tracker tanks, i had one real old, just pure fiberglass, but with todays regulations , might be best to check b4 wasting a lot of time on one
                Not just because of rules, glassfiber alone is p|§§ poor as a fuel tank(ok for sunny sundays bikes), but kevlar can save you from spilling your tank when getting that lowsider that's waiting for everyone, and it will happen, someday....that's just a fact of racing. The sooner you realise the lowsider will be a part of your life at the track, the sooner you can let loose and go faster

Oh, and most if not all types of glassfiber will need a good coating on the inside, so not to disolve over the years.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X