No announcement yet.

60 foot times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81gs I found the button to my dyna two step be my issue. The two step was not allowing me to leave on the bottom rpm. I'm going to up my rpm launch speed to 7000. Going to the track Sunday I'll post the results.

Comment

Rained out booooooooo

Comment

Boo! It's gorgeous here today. For once. And of course I'm stuck at work.

Question though. I've never been into drags much. I have respect for the talent you straight liners have but it's just never really been something i got into. So this is a total noob question, but what exactly does a two step do, and how does it work? And same with a lock up?

I know what a slipper clutch is, and plan on installing one on my ZRX. But I know they're nothing similar. Just wondered and wanted to expand my knowledge base a bit. Ray, or anyone, care to enlighten me?

Comment

A 2 step is wired into your clutch switch. As long as you have the clutch lever pulled all the way in, you can hold the throttle wide open & the engine will be held to whatever RPM you have the 2 step set at. A lock up clutch has arms that come out with either rear wheel speed(the most common & oldest design) or engine speed, like the MTC Gen2, Gann or Hays clutches. You can set the clutch up with light springs to get the bike moving with some slippage & then the arms come in & apply pressure to "lock it up", hence the name, "lock up" clutch. A pretty simplified explanation but you get the gist. I hope this helps Josh. Ray.
          Last edited by rapidray; 05-06-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            A 2 step is wired into your clutch switch. As long as you have the clutch lever pulled all the way in, you can hold the throttle wide open & the engine will be held to whatever RPM you have the 2 step set at. A lock up clutch has arms that come out with either rear wheel speed(the most common & oldest design) or engine speed, like the MTC Gen2, Gann or Hays clutches. You can set the clutch up with light springs to get the bike moving with some slippage & then the arms come in & apply pressure to "lock it up", hence the name, "lock up" clutch. A pretty simplified explanation but you get the gist. I hope this helps Josh. Ray.
            That actually helps a lot Ray thanks! So if im understanding correctly, the two step basically just allows you to launch at WOT without revving the engines brains out at the line. Similar to a stall converter? And the lock up allows you to actually spin the clutch a little so the wheel hooks up before it gets all the beans?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              That actually helps a lot Ray thanks! So if im understanding correctly, the two step basically just allows you to launch at WOT without revving the engines brains out at the line. Similar to a stall converter? And the lock up allows you to actually spin the clutch a little so the wheel hooks up before it gets all the beans?
              Yeah, a 2-step is just a rev-limiter with 2 limits, one limits set for staging, and the other set at top engine RPM. At times another step is added for the burnout.

So if I have this correct, if you have a "slipper" type clutch that doesn't engage till 4500 RPM, you set your "Launch Step" just below, 4000 RPM. So while your staged you can hold the the bike at WOT and the 1st step limiter will hold it at your set RPM. After the launch, then the 2nd step of the 2-step kicks in as an over-rev limiter.

Correct me if Im out of line.

Edit. A Stall converter isn't like a 2-step, a stall converter is like a clutch in a way that the Stall will not engage the tranny untill the motor is "on the cam" or in its powerband. Well for racing... Think of a stall as your left hand, if you put your bike into gear while the clutch in engaged, your bike will die, so you rev the motor a bit till you find the RPM the motor has to be at so that it won't die when you let the clutch out, thats your "stall" RPM. Well in the easiest way I can explain.

Get in your car, stand on the brakes and mash the gas, the motor will stall or give up revving and thats the RPM of the stall converter of your car. Just don't do it for long it will take no time to burn up the fluid.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X