NHRA bike rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks OldTime...

The gaurd is 5.5" and my slick will be that as well.
    I may go back and try something else, but I want to get some other stuff done before spending a ton of time on the fender.

Comment

looking good there, 81gs1100
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Too bad you have a body coming, as I've got this Beasley body/seat combo that I'd sell for $100. It's a bit beat up but still very useable. Dzus fasteners hold the tank/tailpiece together. It is just a fiberglass shell with no fuel cell so you would need to add a seperate tank. My new sponsor wants my bike to be a Yamaha.
        I'm the old, tall guy in this picture.
        You really need to hunt up Mark Waltman in Casper, He can tell you all you need to know, even though he races a KKKKaw. He's a good guy that races at Douglas. Tell him I sent you. ....Jack

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
          Too bad you have a body coming, as I've got this Beasley body/seat combo that I'd sell for $100. It's a bit beat up but still very useable. Dzus fasteners hold the tank/tailpiece together. It is just a fiberglass shell with no fuel cell so you would need to add a seperate tank. My new sponsor wants my bike to be a Yamaha.
          You really need to hunt up Mark Waltman in Casper, He can tell you all you need to know, even though he races a KKKKaw. He's a good guy that races at Douglas. Tell him I sent you. ....Jack
          PM sent Jack

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
            Does he race a ZX14? I think i seen him at Bandimere, a bigger guy? daughters in the health field?

Comment

May be Mark or his brother Steve. He raced up here two summers ago on an older KZ. Jay Nickel in Douglas is also a good source of info. He raced a turbo/nitrous funny bike for 10 years.

E-Mail sent

Comment

What are the rules about battery securing? What do you hold it in place with? As stock the airbox held it down, but they must require something to keep it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                  What are the rules about battery securing? What do you hold it in place with? As stock the airbox held it down, but they must require something to keep it in place.
                  I raced IHRA and I questioned that as well, I was told by the tech that as long as the side to side is secure its good, if you roll over there are more problems then the battery? But it was a small town track.

Im building a battery box tonight, I think I will just velcro strap it around the box to hold it in. Plans are to mount my ignition on top of it, who knows, this is all new to me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
                    I raced IHRA and I questioned that as well, I was told by the tech that as long as the side to side is secure its good, if you roll over there are more problems then the battery? But it was a small town track.

Im building a battery box tonight, I think I will just velcro strap it around the box to hold it in. Plans are to mount my ignition on top of it, who knows, this is all new to me as well.
                    Its a small local 1/8 mile track. Their website doesnt have a forum to ask noob questions Its a sealed AGM battery. I dont want to show up and fail tech and get sent home

Comment

Its a small local 1/8 mile track. Their website doesnt have a forum to ask noob questions Its a sealed AGM battery. I dont want to show up and fail tech and get sent home
                      Are you running your stock battery box? if so, you should be able to find a piece of flat bar and bend it, mount it on each side of the stock bolt holes the battery box uses. Hell a straight piece should work, and just cut some rubber to squeeze between the bar and the battery for now, untill you get there and ask tech about the "rules"

Hopfully someone with some knowledge will chime in

Comment

Velcro could be made to work

Comment

Nothing specific about batteries in the NHRA rulebook in the section about E.T. motorcycles.
                          I would think as long as it's secured under the seat or other area where it can't become a loose projectile it would pass even the toughest tech guy's inspection. Might be a good idea to upgrade to a maintainence free or acid gel to prevent acid loss in a mishap.

Comment

Mine is a sealed AGM, so I am ok there. I am thinking a piece of 1" steel strap bent over it and bolted to the battery box. I do have some alu strap here would that suffice?

Comment

Mine is a sealed AGM, so I am ok there. I am thinking a piece of 1" steel strap bent over it and bolted to the battery box. I do have some alu strap here would that suffice?
                              Aluminum, titanium, plastic, I think you would be ok with anything that wouldn't allow it to be pulled out easy. If it takes you two hands to try and pull it out of its box, I think you are good.,

Comment

Coming together

Well after a 425 mile trip to visit a fellow GSR member that had something I very much needed, I couldn't wait to get it mocked up on my frame.

I would like to again thank (madjack57745) for offering his old body work, at a deal worth the drive and the stories many times over. as well as great conversation and advice/help. Jack is the first member off GSR that I have met, and I can only hope everyone else I meet from here is as stand up of a guy that he is. And I hope I can get up there again soon and see him race, maybe I'll be ready to race too.

Here is a picture of the body setting on my frame. I am getting super excited to get this project finished.

Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2013, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X