How to start track racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by x01660 View Post
    You guys are an insightful bunch. Ok. I'm in CA. I want to race a relatively slow class (100 mph at the most) so I can maximize my performance and learn proper racing technique. What's a good class/bike to start in/with?
    -x01660
    I think I would regularly hit 140 mph on my SV at the end of the tiny PIR front straight. Not sure because I taped off the Speedo. That was a stock motor.

Even the CB160 guys are at 80-90 mph.

Going 150 down the straight is 10 times safer than going 70 with your elbow on the tarmac.

I think you should attend a race and make sure you get a pit pass. Spend the whole day out there and check out all the classes and what they ride. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Some of those guys are all peacocked out thinking they're all bad, but they're all just out to do some racing and 95% of them will bend over backwards to help someone new into the sport.

"Hey, I want to get into racing. What's a good class to start with?"

I bet if you asked that question to 20 people you'd get 20 good answers, and 5 of them offering to sell you their (Brand X) bike they used to go and race the Novice class.

Comment

There will be some ahrma vintage racing at willow springs in late April. I got into the ahrma thing after doing an ahrma race license day. Super fun and I was hooked. I took my 1100 out. Dropped the lights and mirrors and center stand. Borrowed some leathers and had a blast. I got my race license and promptly picked up two gs 750 for almost nothing from a couple of the racers after expressing an interest. Thought I'd start on something in the superbike class but a bit smaller displacement to get started with. I'd go out to willow springs for the weekend. Introduce yourself to some of the guys and they will get your questions answered. There is a giant love for the old stuff in Ahrma and it is growing every year. Here is a link http://dev.ahrma.org/?page_id=1732. There is usuly a practice day on the Friday and most people camp out at the track if its available. Then there are races for each class on a Saturday and then on Sunday. Usually 150 a day. Real nice people.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X