Anti frothing race oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti frothing race oil

Who makes the hands down very best oil with the most anti frothing properties?? Is it the silica percentage that makes the oil anti frothing?? Trying to understand all this anti frothing information.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Chuck,

You may want to join Bob Is The Oil Guy and post up a question. Those boys know their oil.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

We ran rotella in every car we raced and built. Mostly modern 4 cyl turbo motors and hopped up v6s. Road racing, 30-40 mins a session, 5-6 a day, 2 day weekends, 8 weekends a year if not more. 8k rpms WOT for most of the race. All over 100hp per liter motors.

Comment

Most pro drift teams run rotella too.

Comment

See the problem is that as the oil runs back down in my Yamaha TX750, the oil is whipped by the counter balancers and what gets to the pan has air in it. Thus the scavanger pumps dont keep prime..which in turn lets the top end suffer oil deprivation.

I need a super good anti frothing oil to combat this so the pump keeps oil circulation going. I think this is a little bit of a different situation Old Guy.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-04-2014, 09:26 AM.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Do you have a diagram of the oiling system?

Comment

No..I have looked in my factory manual and there isnt one that I have found.

Comment

Can you ditch the balance shafts?

Comment

Yes the balancers can be removed..but then your on the most vibrating bike known to mankind. I had an XS 650 once and that thing was terrible. these counter balancers are designed to remove the vibration from the engine.

Comment

The Early XS 650s had no balance shafts, and they weren't that bad. You could ride it all day, I did many many thousand mile plus weekends on my '72. You could feel the vibration, but it was tolerable. The later balanced ones were smoother for sure. Something must have been wrong with yours if you thought it was that bad.

I have also ridden a Triumph that was not put together right, it was like the paint shaker down at Lowe's, you couldn't even see the road because your head was shaking too much. Painful painful, and I only rode it a couple blocks.

If the piston weight is correct for the crankshaft it won't be that bad. What do the TX 750 enthusiasts do? Remove the balancer and rebalance the crankshaft? Super light pistons, rods and wrist pins? Maybe some kind of baffle to keep the oil in the right place?
                    There must be a known fix….

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/textual/mo1272.php

This says it's a dry sump system??

Could you add a swirl pot somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        What do the TX 750 enthusiasts do?
                        They wait for it to break down again...
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

In that case I'd fix it once more and sell it pronto.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What contributed to the problem in the first place was Castrol coming out with the first GTX oil around the same time.
                            I remember very well seeing dry sump tanks full of brown froth.....We learned quickly not to use it in air cooled motors. I believe it was one of the first high detergent oils.

I'd think a modern motorcycle semi synthetic would work well enough. The frothing problem really only showed up on these if they were thrashed - it was and is largely RPM dependent. The ZX range of Kawasakis with a balancer shaft running in a semi dry area of the sump would have the same problem if the oils of the past were used....

Comment

Greg..I agree with that as I understand thinmgs from the article in Classic Yammy. When I got the bike and found the hammered intake valve stems we redid the upper end and put in all new valves. I will post pics of the valves when i get home tonight.

Guy in Killeen thats been a metric mechanic for nearly 35 years ( Randy Voet ) was well aware of the TX from back in the day and advised me to use the Honda HP4 synthetic blend race oil..which was what was in it. Once it began smoking I tore it back down to see what I could find and found the cam problem had indeed came home to the bike.

So maybe it was that far gone and the 1300 miles I have put on it just pushed it over the edge..who knows. But now that its all new , yet again, I just want to cover all my bases as best I can.

I am even interested in finding the added on sump extention and the matching longer bolts and adding it to this engine before any restarts. I think that additional extention and the very best oil I can run will maybe save it from this happening again.

Comment

Working...
                              X