No announcement yet.

GS400/500 Gr650 Hybrid engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see you got the majority of the bike back so you can make some kind of progress. The shop looks good too. At least you have a couple of lifts. I gotta wait a couple years before i can think about getting a lift

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
      Glad to see you got the majority of the bike back so you can make some kind of progress. The shop looks good too. At least you have a couple of lifts. I gotta wait a couple years before i can think about getting a lift
      Thanks, why do you need to wait a couple of years? that sucks!

Anyway, I ditched the idea of using the stock GR650 camshafts, 0.364" lift on both sides, bleegh!
      I think the .417" lift megacycle cams are a good place to start, not too extreme, maybe I'll go more extreme later on depending on how I am going to use this bike.

Here another sneak peak on how the front wheel brake is gonna look like

Comment

Here the promised spec sheet for the pistons:

According to the sheet it weights 255 grams and I am going to assume that is correct, my kitchen scale says 258 grams, well..... the scale doesn't "say" it, you have to read it
        Anyway, the piston including pin, rings and scrapers weights in at 332 grams, the GR650 piston weights in at 362 grams, a 9.17% gain, not that much.
        I should measure the weight of the GS400X pistons too, every bit of information helps.

Edit:
        The original GS400X piston including: Pin, rings, scrapers measures in at 244 grams, the CP pistons are 26.6% heavier then the GS400X pistons.
        Although I will be using custom stronger rods this adds to my doubt about the crankshaft being strong enough.
        The bearings will be strong enough they are the same as the GS1000/1100? so my main concern is the main- and big-end journal to crank web connection.
        I like the idea of welding the journals all the way trough, but when the bearings are worn you can basically bin the whole crank, and there is a high chance of hairline cracks.

Any opinion about this will be greatly apreciated (when shared ofcourse :P ), tommorrow I will call some local overhaul shops and ask what they can do for me.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I wish I had looked at this thread sooner. I used to work at CP/Carillo & am a WD dealer for them, along with Web Cams too. Let me know if I can help in the future. Nice project!!!
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            I wish I had looked at this thread sooner. I used to work at CP/Carillo & am a WD dealer for them, along with Web Cams too. Let me know if I can help in the future. Nice project!!!
            Ray.
            Thanks , does Web Cams make GS twin camshafts?

Why has my spec sheet been removed? photobucket says the image violates the terms of use :S?

Comment

Web will make the cams. I just need to find a set of cores. What cams are you using, for which head?
              Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Web will make the cams. I just need to find a set of cores. What cams are you using, for which head?
                Ray.
                I'm not using any cams atm, I have the stock GR650 cams, also I have a pair of GS450 cams, they both don't have enough lift.
                I was planning on using a megacycle cam in the GR650 head, I don't know what a megacycle pair will cost and if a web regrind will be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Rensdw View Post
                  I'm not using any cams atm, I have the stock GR650 cams, also I have a pair of GS450 cams, they both don't have enough lift.
                  I was planning on using a megacycle cam in the GR650 head, I don't know what a megacycle pair will cost and if a web regrind will be cheaper.
                  Both will be hard overlay put on by welding. Both Megacycle and Web do good work in this area. Get a price off Ray and compare to Megacycle's list price....
                  FWIW, locally I pay $125NZ per lobe for a hard overlay buildup and grind, plus 15% tax. Back when our dollar was strong and the US weak, it was cheaper to buy from the US, now our dollar has dropped, it's local work again.

Comment

I need to sell my house to prep for my move to spokane wa in the next couple years and don't know when i'll have a garage again once i get the house sold, and don't want a ton of stuff in a storage unit.

Comment

Not much to say, I'm still waiting on my CP rods to start building the crankshaft.

Have a question though, does anybody have a straight cut gs750 clutch laying around to compare to a GS400 clutch? or atleast help me with some dimensions.
                      If the gear ratio/diameter is the same I wanna try to run straight cut gears.
                      I know I don't really need them.....but what the heck right?

Also I was looking at my Ducati 748 clucth the other day, it's the exact same diameter as the GS400 clutch!
                      If i can modifie the clutch basket so that I can mount a suzuki gear on in, and leave some spacing between the hub and gear then only thing I need to make is a aluminium casing with an oil seal

............yes I'm dreaming, but who knows, nothing is impossible.

Comment

Hell, you're this far into it and with everything you have designed/built/modified/had custom made, why not go further and try out the Ducati/suzuki basket hybrid idea? I think the biggest hang up with that would be with the basket depth if both oem and Ducati baskets aren't the same depth. You would either have to custom make a clutch cover, mod the original, or machine the Ducati basket to fit. But #1 or #2 would be the most likely. You would have to do some test fitting and dry installs once you get that far

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                          Hell, you're this far into it and with everything you have designed/built/modified/had custom made, why not go further and try out the Ducati/suzuki basket hybrid idea? I think the biggest hang up with that would be with the basket depth if both oem and Ducati baskets aren't the same depth. You would either have to custom make a clutch cover, mod the original, or machine the Ducati basket to fit. But #1 or #2 would be the most likely. You would have to do some test fitting and dry installs once you get that far
                          Thanks for the input! depth wouldn't be a problem because once you have a "Dry section" by indeed modifying the stock cover you can have it stick out as far as you want.

I'll keep an eye out for a second hand Ducati clutch

Comment

Originally posted by Rensdw View Post
                            First: I would still like to have this topic moved to "Performance/Tuning/Mods" if one of the moderators reads this, please move this topic.

So, not a whole lot has happened, CP Carillo is done making my pistons but the rods are still in the making, that is going to take another month or so.

I did paint my engine, here some pictures:

First a nice high quality basecoat.

And 5 layers black paint and three layers clear coat later:
                            (All the white dots are reflections, there is a lot of lights in the hangar )

Little bit of dust in the paint here ;/ not bad for a outside paintjob though.

Also most of the aluminium is polished, like a mirror!

Next I will have to make the cilinder and head look pretty, I need to finish the external oil lines and then build up the bottom end.
                            All the chain guides seem to line up nicely, more on this later.
                            Are you frigging serious with that polishing!!!?
                            Seriously amazing. Of all the things I can do, polishing is not one of them yet. My stuff is average at best. That is master level sh*t right there.
                            Super nice, and this whole thread is a good read.
                            Ps, I don't think the administrator /moderator can move this thread. I think you would have to delete it all and start over in the projects section.
                            Can anyone else verify that fact for the op? Or can he move the thread himself?

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                              Are you frigging serious with that polishing!!!?
                              Seriously amazing. Of all the things I can do, polishing is not one of them yet. My stuff is average at best. That is master level sh*t right there.
                              Super nice, and this whole thread is a good read.
                              Ps, I don't think the administrator /moderator can move this thread. I think you would have to delete it all and start over in the projects section.
                              Can anyone else verify that fact for the op? Or can he move the thread himself?
                              Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the results myself

Looking at the amount of views I get here, moving this topic is not really needed anymore.

9 more days and then the cylinder head will arrive here in the netherlands (together with a complete Yamaha R6 lol), cant wait to start building the top end!

Comment

What a COOL! Build!!!!
                                I knew someone else who used GS450/GS500/GR650 parts to build a six speed 850CC twin.
                                Cannot wait to here how well it goes!!!
                                G
                                sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                                2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                                Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                                '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Working...
                                X