sponsorship and taking the first step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sponsorship and taking the first step

well the other day I was reading my National Dragster and there is a guy named Earnie Saxton, he has a article every few months that gives tips about marketing strategies. As a gift he offered 10 subscriptions for his publication. I was full of doubt and figured the first 10 guys that got an early start on the newest mag would scoop them all up. I dialed the number and erased it - you know the deal why torture yourself all you are going to get is rejection is what I told myself -- Just a few minutes later I redialed the number fixed my mind on getting a definite NO - just because I am not a quitter....

Guess what !? I was the 2nd caller - Mr. Saxton answered the phone himself! WOW! we spoke about the weather up here in WI - had how Las Vegas would be a better fit - until summer and the blast furnace returned -- haha . I kept it simple and direct as to not waste his time, name and address and a short thank you.... The mail came yesterday I have 2 issues to read and found another offer for Federal-Mogul / Champion spark plugs - 50,000 total awards - all you have to do is write a 300 word essay and a couple pictures. 15 $5000 awards and a few $1000 cash pay outs for amateur racers - I only scanned the detail as of right now I'm going off of memory.

well that is what I wanted to share - I overcame a truck load of self doubt - but the fact remains that I want to take the next step to make my racing program grow and expand.

being a privateer and doing it all from my bank account makes it difficult to travel beyond the upper Midwest and my team name will probably have to change.

A.P.E. is also accepting racer resumes and I have been polishing up my format -- I have not had the courage to send one to Big Jay but I might just follow through ... now.

any one else have commercial support? Drag racing is only 1 type of motorcycle racing - I also am going to try flat track at the mama tried feb 19 on a jazzed up sportster. don't have a pair of 19" wheels to put on the GS.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Glad you got over being so shy and took the step! Good luck with the team and when I get back up north, I want to join the team. Ice racing will be good practice for flat tracking on the HD...
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Even though you are in a different time zone, you are STILL a team member belucci !! - you did a great job with getting Fox Lake Toyota on board before you left . that shirt is a trophy and I am on my best behavior when I wear it. now it's time to get more so we can reach out farther. AMRA indexes, MAN CUP, NHDRO, TWO WHEEL SPEED , NHRA Div 3, IHRA div 5 .

Redline Cycle - Aeillo Dental - Club Benes - Crane Plumbing - just getting started on 2016... did you google MAMA TRIED yet? 1/16 oval on Dr.Pepper syrup meow!

Comment

Sponsorship,,,, been there,,
        30 years ago when I was circle trackin (4 wheels) that was the only way I was gonna make it to the race track.
        Ran a Ford when no one else did with limited success, anyway point is you never know till you ask. I ended up getting support from Ford Canada,,, because I approached them. They were getting back into racing and looking for people to support.
        Fred

Comment

cool shirts discount

great to hear someone besides curt and I talking about this subject!

may I ask how did you handle negotiating the contract? or do you remember any details about your deal? like getting? keeping? - engine/chassis research data? - special parts? special support?

I am curious a big name like ford had to have helped in a big way.

I have no experience beyond competing on my own budget - so my attitude, appearance, performance and success have only been judged by the shop or dealership I was employed at. Total privateer - road racing / desert / hill climbing/ I wish I would have started drag racing earlier in life.

these guys are offering to beat any uniform price by 10% fro IHRA members.

Comment

well it wasn't that big a deal.
            Early 80s Ford was getting back into racing after an absence of several years. The dealership in my home town was changing hands at the same time so I thought great time to take a stab at them.
            I made an appointment with the owner parked my race car on their lot and went in with a plan showing how I intended to promote their business through racing attending car shows, print and so on.
            What Ford was doing was throwing money at local dealerships to get their name back in racing at the grass roots level, perfect for me cause that's here I was, VERY grass roots lol.
            Anyway they gave me a cheque in return for my promo and I spent it.
            This pic was taken a couple of years later at seasons end Sponsor wind up. Foster beer was starting to market in our area, I knew the Rep. Sometimes it's not who you know but what you know,, or something like that,, LOL
            I was a shoe in for that sponsorship, he made quota every month back in those days cause a me,,, lol

Comment

I felt this subject could be helpful to participants on both sides of the motorsport marketing aisle. Thanks for contributing Fred. I appreciate you offering your valuable experience.

no mater how small or big a deal may be, a simple contract will avoid countless headaches. How many handshake deals actually go right for all parties involved these days?

Comment

Hey Trip your welcome! I my have signed something, dont remember,, its been awhile!
                I do agree that a basic contract is a good idea today. Communication is a very intricate thing.
                The old saying "The faintest line is better than the strongest memory” has apt meaning here.
                There are many people out there that would love to support your habit in exchange for very little.
                Dont be discouraged if the first few you talk to are not those people.
                I was a mediocre racer with a mid pack car in a small population market but didn't spend much of my
                money to race,, BUT I did dance on the table when asked and eat crow every so often.
                Dont be mistaken there is a trade off.
                Fred

Comment

Working...
                X