Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why MotoGP is going backwards...

Very interesting article....

Opinion, analysis and news on motogp, written by the sport's best writers since 1924.
    No signature

Interesting. Probably coming to a dealer near you next year...
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I think I understand how changing the direction of engine rotation reduces the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, …sorta.
      What I don't understand is why this was never research tested by GP teams years ago with the 2 stoke engines?
      Oh, forgot, the Suzuki Gamma square 4 engine had two counter rotating crankshafts. Maybe all of the other engines too.
      I can't remember any riders commenting on losing a turning advantage when everybody moved to 4 stroke engines?
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

A motorcycle’s spinning wheels create gyroscopic effect that keeps the machine going straight
        This is unclear, or an oversimplification. The gyroscopic effects contribute, but are not the primary mechanism. Not even a direct mechanism.

Look here for explanation and demonstrations of what really keeps a bike pointed, and how we upset that to make it turn:

At GP speeds (or even highway speeds), gyro effects do become much more significant, making the bike harder to lean and turn.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X