Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurburgring: Old Guy does 7:30 lap on Ducati

For the innocent:
    The Nürburgring is a popular attraction for many driving enthusiasts and riders from all over the world, partly because of its history and the challenge it provides. The lack of oncoming traffic and intersections sets it apart from regular roads, and the absence of a blanket speed limit is a further attraction.
    Normal ticket buyers on tourist days cannot quite complete a full lap of the 20.8 km (12.9 mi) Nordschleife, which bypasses the modern GP-Strecke, as they are required to slow down and pass through a 200-metre (220 yd) "pit lane" section where toll gates are installed. On busier days, a mobile ticket barrier is installed on the main straight in order to reduce the length of queues at the fixed barriers. This is open to all ticket holders. On rare occasions, it is possible to drive both the Nordschleife and the Grand Prix circuit combined.
    Drivers interested in lap times often time themselves from the first bridge after the barriers to the last gantry (aka Bridge-to-Gantry or BTG time) before the exit.[12] However, the track's general conditions state that any form of racing, including speed record attempts, is forbidden.[13] The driver's insurance coverage may consequently be voided, leaving the driver fully liable for damage. Normal, non-racing, non-timed driving accidents might be covered by driver's insurance, but it is increasingly common for UK insurers especially to insert exclusion clauses that mean drivers and riders on the Nürburgring only have third-party coverage[14] or are not covered at all.
    PS: Tail of the Dragon is ****…
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Cool..............
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Observations: This guy has more miles on this track than some guys have on their bikes. He know it better than I know my Gf's backside...
      The guy with the air bag on the rear of his car is so slow I know why it's there.
      Was that 177 KPH or 177 MPH?
      There are 2 guys from the Browns Co. GSR get together that should have this on their bucket list.
      This is why track days are so fun.
      Amazing!
      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I'm sure that was MPH, partly from watching other N-ring videos and recognizing the straights, plus you can see he redlined it at @14500rpm in top gear!!!!
        I redlined my 92 GSXR at 11500rpm in 3rd gear, that's 130 mph. Redlined in top gear (5th) would be 185mph. That's it's potential top speed, probably hasen't got enough power as you know.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

That was very cool also the speedo was reading in MPH as it would be reading near 280 if in KMH.
          Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

On the KPH verse MPH discussion, can he really do 90 mph in first gear? I think I saw that in a couple places.

(I am only calibrated on old bikes.)

Cheers, Alan
            '82 GS650G 27k
            '00 GZ250 5k "Pocket Hawg"
            ('98 GS500E 18k, new project - moved on to new home)
            '98 GSF1200 39k, new project, fixed the blown out spark plug, waiting on time
            '05 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750IE (the Pocket Hawg's days are numbered)

Comment

Originally posted by SusKatCas View Post
              On the KPH verse MPH discussion, can he really do 90 mph in first gear? I think I saw that in a couple places.

(I am only calibrated on old bikes.)

Cheers, Alan
              Probably, the 2007 GSXR1000 will do 100mph in first. I'm sure by now many others will do it as well.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Tail of the Dragon is a different monster. It doesn't compare. All technical, complicated, variable radius and off camber turns combined with big ups and downs.

Most fun you can have below 60
                Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Impressive as heck.
                  I was also impressed by the etiquette of the other cars / bikes on the track giving way to him.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Impressive as heck.
                    I was also impressed by the etiquette of the other cars / bikes on the track giving way to him.
                    People would tend to move over, but his closing speed was so intense, he was there before anybody could see him. Mostly they were already expecting somebody to overtake them and were already over.

Comment

An old guy not worried about his heart condition and confident he will do around 7:30. Dam impressive!

Humorous take on a 10 minute lap by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear.

Comment

Achtung: motorcycle and auto lap records

Yamaha R1:

Porche 919 (readout is KPH):

Comment

This thread got me thinking about inspirational people and those who are.... not so much.

At 50 years old, a guy we know went thru pretty much the same thing.... cardiac arrest, clinically dead for an extended period, a week plus coma. He made it thru with a full recovery and no long term issues, yet he is still a miserable F.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            This thread got me thinking about inspirational people and those who are.... not so much.

At 50 years old, a guy we know went thru pretty much the same thing.... cardiac arrest, clinically dead for an extended period, a week plus coma. He made it thru with a full recovery and no long term issues, yet he is still a miserable F.
                            You might find this book worth reading. Its on my ToDo list.

Doris Goodwin’s book, “Leadership In Turbulent Times” is about life events that changed great leaders.
                            LBJ had a bad heart attack & then decided he wanted to create a legacy. That legacy is his civil rights reforms.
                            Lincoln was so depressed that knives were removed from his bedroom out of fear he might kill himself. He later won the Civil War.
                            Both Roosevelts suffered major setbacks & later became Presidents.

Comment

here we go, dumbing down into the vortex…
                              if you 2 wanna be schlock gurus, post it in the vortex…
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-03-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X