X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STT > Grattan Michigan, May 16

Bought a ticket for Saturday, 5-15.
    Sportbike Track Time
    Grattan Raceway Park is tough tight course with a 3000' straight. it mess wit yu hehdd…

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-07-2020, 04:55 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Got my 1st track day of 2020 soon, Saturday 5-15.

Riding today, to get accustom to the power, shiftier, boots and helmet.
    The hard seat and suspension gave me a sore butt.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

That looks like a very fun track, with those elevation changes. I don't know how I feel about that long straight. I'd probably be a coward in that braking zone.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The straight is nothing.... try a Down hill, blind, reducing radius, double apex turn....lol.
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Yeah, the long straight is very fast but the right turn at the end is very wide, so not so scary. The blind over the bluff into a slow negative camber left is chilly.
          The double SS messes up my timing, a fast long right into a right hairpin, then flat out up a hill into a blind right then left onto the straight.
          Found this youtube, but the wide angle lens makes it all look flat and slow.
          In real time and real eye vision, everything looks short, fast and in your face. With the G force pushing your helmet down so all you can see is the pavement.
          I think this will only be my 3rd time on this track. I find it kinda brutal. Many riders say it's their favorite.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-07-2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Wow, that looks fun. I may have to ride across the Mitten some time to cheer you on. I don't have big enough hardware to get on a track, if you know what I mean.
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Looks to be an exciting layout, but wonder, are those tar strips? No cones or apex curbing.

Must get sketchy on a hot day, smearing about.

The repave patches would mess with my head personally as to grip levels and feedback from the tires.

I planned to go to the Ridge on 5/10-11, but still in lock down here.

Bike has been sitting since September, the bike gives me that look each time I walk in the garage.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Hey Carter, They worried me too my 1st time on the track, so I asked the coach. He said those are patches of high grip compound.
                I rode my GS1100G the first time on that track and did not have any issue, and never since on my GSX. Have not seen anybody loose grip.
                Rumor is, it's a bad track in the rain.

Comment

Looks like a really fun track. How much does that cost?
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                    Looks like a really fun track. How much does that cost?
                    $205 per day & $10 at the gate.
                    Spectators welcome, just pay the gate fee.

Comment

Looks like the weather will be kinda rainy…but with a window of dryness Saturday morning, chance of showers after 2:00 pm.
                      Decided it would be safer to camp, so I don't have to drive at 4 thru 6:30 AM during a rainstorm.
                      I rather be in a tent in the rain, getting whatever sleep I can.
                      6 feet apart in the pits and on the track.
                      Bring your own food or starve.
                      Gotta bring my own pen too, so I can sign the wavers.
                      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-12-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Saturday weather was great, sunny, dry 68º.
                        Camped the night before. Grattan Raceway is a very pretty race track like some in the UK.
                        Took these videos of the 1st session, so riders were taking it ez.

Main straight:

Turn 3 (blind downhill reverse camber):

Comment

I checked the weather in Grand Rapids yesterday, hoping the weather would hold out for you.

How'd it go?

Washington is back on for track days next week. Getting excited.
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                            I checked the weather in Grand Rapids yesterday, hoping the weather would hold out for you.

How'd it go?

Washington is back on for track days next week. Getting excited.
                            My day was Saturday. Weather was ideal, 70º sunny, track was clean, dry and mechanically swept of any sand Friday.
                            My goal was just to learn the track better. I got all the funky corners down and did well, wore my legs and arms out.
                            I was nervous until I finally got on the highway to the track, then I was cool the rest of the weekend.
                            Camped out and had asthma in the tent because my blankets were dusty, plus the 100% humidity. So I slept sitting in the car. I felt better after the 1st session.
                            Face masks started to disappear as the day went on. Too hard to hear people with unmuffled engines ripping by, plus earplugs. You have to read lips or shout into each others ear.
                            Had some friendly conversations with my neighbors in the pits. So nice to be among reckless people again. HA!!
                            Amazing, I don't remember a single crash all through Saturday's sessions.
                            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-18-2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Here's some videos I made Friday evening, looking over the track as it was being swept clean.

Comment

Working...
                              X