Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else excited about the start of MotoGP season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forden View Post
    Yeah buddy! Question: why do so many people dislike Mark Marquez? I've seen him booed on the podium at a number of past races.
    He's won a huge pile of races and championships and has on occasion been a reckless douche on the track. Because of the halo effect, the stewards have never sanctioned him for his moments of stupidity and that really chaps some people.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Irish Road Racing kicking off soon.
      https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/m...e-2016-3459749
      They have a range event of sizes. Which do you think are the best?
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
        He's won a huge pile of races and championships and has on occasion been a reckless douche on the track. Because of the halo effect, the stewards have never sanctioned him for his moments of stupidity and that really chaps some people.

Mark
        Actually, he has been penalized a couple of times, but not nearly often enough to suit some people.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Good question. Maybe because he crushed the competition, including Rossi, with in-your-face race tactics? I think it could be argued that he had a run that was as good or better than any other in the history of the sport. That said, I can't remember a race that I was happy that he won, except for maybe beating Lorenzo.
          That sums it up pretty well.

I've been watching GP racing since 1978, and he's the best I've ever seen. Probably said this before here, but I was at COTA in 2013 when he won his first MotoGP race. Was here all three days and saw all of practice and qualifying. Left there just stunned, convinced he'd win the championship that year and as many after that as he was healthy for.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            They have a range event of sizes. Which do you think are the best?
            I try to catch the North West 200 if I can, but realistically any of the smaller venues are just as hairy and ass-clenching.
            The annoying thing is, about half of the meetings take place in the Republic, but the state broadcaster refuses to cover them, so the only TV coverage is courtesy of BBC Northern Ireland, and they can't cover events south of the border.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Irish Road Racing kicking off soon.
              https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/m...e-2016-3459749
              I just watched "The Road Racers" for the first time. Loved it, even the crappy resolution copy I downloaded. Sad though to acknowledge all the principals died on tracks thereafter, even if J Dunlop lasted a couple decades...
              1978 GS 750 E
              1979 XS11 Standard
              1973 CB450
              1999 VFR800

Comment

It's kinda hard to get excited about something which you don't know what it is. I'm going to assume MotoGP is a race of some sort.
                Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                1981 GS1100E

Comment

I've been enjoying this weekly MOTOGP group discussion on youtube. Fills the weekdays with something.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Yeah love the MotoGP. Qatar was really interesting. Race one is always where the truth begins. So far we know that Honda has built bikes that people -other than Marquez- can ride at winning pace and not fall off. Yamaha is too slow to be at the front, especially in qualifying and if you're not in the first three rows your likely to be toast, as is Quartarro's title defense. Every marque apart from Yamaha look competitive out of the box. Suzuki seems to have gained enough power and aero to not get blitzed down the long Lusail straights, Aprilla (4th place) and KTM (2nd place) are also well balanced and thus competitive packages. Ducati still seems on paper the bike to beat, and even though Bastianini came first on a Ducati, it was last years bike. For the record, the next best was Ducati was 8th (Zarco) behind both Suzukis and that 3 x Ducatis DNFed and no factory bike made it into the points.
                    Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 03-15-2022, 08:33 PM.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
                    ​​
                    Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                      It's kinda hard to get excited about something which you don't know what it is. I'm going to assume MotoGP is a race of some sort.
                      The premier motorcycle race circuit.

Sadly the various NBC channels aren’t showing the race TV broadcast schedules where I can find them like I could the last few years. Or maybe it’s me spending most of my time in the shop
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's on CNBC at 3pm Eastern....

Your complete racing schedule for all things racing:
                        TV Motor Racing Schedules: All racing, updated daily
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

You know, when I was younger I was mad about all things racing. I truly wanted to get into it myself, having a rally-racer for a father. Life and money obstacles, plus a dose of parental common-sense intervened and I never did race. You'd think that I'd be more into now, but I'm just not. I do love catching the highlights and checking in on the drama now and again.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Who knew about this and didn't say anything? Wife and watched the first two episodes yesterday, and it is good.
                            Amazon for sure stole the format from Netflix and their Formula 1: Drive to survive....

Comment

OK, first day of Spring is going to be pretty cool.

We are just minutes away from lights out in the first Formula 1 race of the year, in Bahrain
                              New cars this year, with both Ferrari and Haas are looking strong. (ESPN)

Immediately after that, at 1pm eastern, is the first IndyCar race of the year, in Texas. (NBC)

And finally, at 3pm eastern, Moto GP from Indonesia, to finish the day off right. (CNBC)...

Comment

Interesting race today, definitely wouldn't have predicted the results from the last race
                                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                                2007 DRz 400S
                                1999 ATK 490ES
                                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                                X