Wiring trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring trick

Don't know if anyone has tried this yet. I'm replacining my wiring harness. As you know everything comes together in the headlight bucket on a 83 gs1100e. Rather than take a chance on breaking your 20 something year old headlight lens and ring assembly, I substituted a high low nrectangle sealed beam from a from a car while working on my connections. If it falls out it's only $3.00 to replace it with a cheapy. It works the same as your real headlight, so you can check your dimmer switch etc. Also the plug is the same, 3 prong.

Stiksave

I've often wondered if that would work.
    Additionally, I have spent sometime considering a better arrangement for that rats nest behind the light. It would seem to me that it would be a good use of time to put a terminal block it there and get rid of all those hanging wires.

Comment

Nothin better than spending a few hours in the garage when it's 45 degrees with your Haynes manual and a magnifiying glass. LOL Why can't someone come up with a readable schematic that's bigger than 8 x 11? The one in the back of the owners manual is smaller yet. The only thing I can't get running yet are the background lights for the dash. Part of my problem is that it's finally warm enough to get some stuff done so I'm jumping around. I have the R1 can installed, have to make a small bracket, did that this morning while everyone was asleep yet. Swapped out the old coils and wires with a set from a GSXR today between meals and visiting relatives. Dingus Day should be a holiday. :roll:

Stiksave

Comment

Originally posted by stiksave
        Nothin better than spending a few hours in the garage when it's 45 degrees with your Haynes manual and a magnifiying glass. LOL Why can't someone come up with a readable schematic that's bigger than 8 x 11?

I know what you mean. When I started to work on my carbs I scanned the diagram in the manual then I blew it up and used a setting on my printer that prints each half of the image on a separate page that I then taped together. It was great to have that on the wall above the bench...

Comment

The new old haness is installed. Everything works great, except somewhere along the line I blew 2 light bulbs. The little bahstads for the gas gauge and the oil temp gauges. I had to order them from the dealer, little boogers aren't available anywhere local that I could find. 12v 2w. Tiny and the base looks like Buck Rogers phony rocketship.

Chris
          :roll:

Comment

Chris...you can get these bulbs at the auto parts store or
            Wally mart a little cheaper. I replaced all my console lights
            with blue ones.....now that I think about it I can't remember
            what wattage they are....anyway been in for 2 years, no problems.

Comment

I know which ones your talking about. There are 4 of those. These are in a pencil type holder about a 1/4 of an inch in diameter that push into the gas and oil temp gauges. I spent more on gas looking for them then the cost of getting them from my dealer. Think about a bulb for a flashlight, then think half it's size.

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X