Don't overtighten your battery cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't overtighten your battery cables

I pulled the battery bolt nut right through the lead! Now I'm left with a hexagon in the lead terminal that I have to deal with...this doesn't happen from one occasion but from removing the wires frequently.

Steve

You can drill and tap the stud with a smaller bit Steve or vent the battery good and solder another tab on

A is better than B

Comment

I'm working on the soldering repair method. I just need to find a soldering iron that puts out enough heat. I took an old wheel weight and got it cold soldered in place but I need a big 200W+ iron to get things melted together. I also squeezed a pair of washers into the nut slot in order to prevent this from happening again.

Steve

Comment

The best thing is a propane torch. Use low heat and again, MAKE SURE you vent the battery first. This works well as it is how they are made in the first place. Just be careful, too much heat and you can run through the top into the battery. Use a large washer as a reservoir and it helps.

Comment

Heh, I bought a blast shield today but I still couldn't get myself to use a propane torch so I ended up buying a "big" soldering iron. It cost me as much as a battery but I was able to fix her up. I was unknowingly using the 200W setting instead of the 260W setting but with a lot of patience it worked. So, instead of having a good battery and a bad battery I have a good 2 year old battery and a new soldering iron. 8)

Cheers, Steve

Comment

And now you have it for next time as well as for other things
            Buying tools in never a waste.

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
            X